PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:38 pm 

Hi,

I'd like to formally welcome our 5 new moderators:
  • Antti
  • Owen
  • pcmattman
  • Sortie
  • thepowersgang

I'd also like to let other forum members know that we actually do have new moderators. There used to be a list of moderators displayed on the main page (for each sub-forum); but I think the list grew too long and so PhpBB doesn't display it anymore; which means that normal forum members probably wouldn't have been aware of the changes.

Note: Several weeks ago, AJ stepped down as an active moderator. This left myself as the only active moderator that visits the forums regularly; prompting the need for new moderators.

Cheers,

Brendan

For all things; perfection is, and will always remain, impossible to achieve in practice. However; by striving for perfection we create things that are as perfect as practically possible. Let the pursuit of perfection be our guide.

Post subject: Re: New Moderators!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:35 am 

Hi,
:)
Well, good luck to the new moderators, Hope this forum becomes
a better place under their control.
Happy Moderating and congrats to Antti, Owen,pcmattman, Sortie, and thepowersgang. :D
IIRC wasn't pcmattman already a moderator? I could be wrong...
-Bender

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:07 am 

A new age of the Forum has begun. Things will change for sure.

In fact, i have already witnessed it #-o

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:42 am 

Hi,
Quote:
but I think the list grew too long and so PhpBB doesn't display it anymore

Just to notify, on my PC it does. :)
Wow, and Combuster is back!
Good Luck!
EDIT: It does not appear on the main page. But it does on the sub-forums and topics.
EDIT2: Well, it does not appear on user profiles too.
-Bender

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:51 am 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
Don't get your hopes up, I've only been the advisor in selecting new staff and might just move back to my heckler's balcony in due time :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:12 am 

Hi,

Bender wrote:
Quote:
but I think the list grew too long and so PhpBB doesn't display it anymore

Just to notify, on my PC it does. :)

I'm not sure why; but each time the moderators are changed the lists disappear from the "board index" page, and after a while (half an hour?) they seem to just re-appear again on their own.

Cheers,

Brendan

For all things; perfection is, and will always remain, impossible to achieve in practice. However; by striving for perfection we create things that are as perfect as practically possible. Let the pursuit of perfection be our guide.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:12 am 

Ah, I'm glad to see who else was appointed, seems like a bunch of good choices. I was wondering why we had that many moderators I never see. It's probably worth noting that the new moderators (or at least some of them) was also given administrator permissions to the wiki, though that's largely of little immediate value as it is a wiki after all.

Is it wrong that I am disappointed no huge controversy is yet to show up so I can step in and save the day? Perhaps it has already happened and all traces are gone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:30 am 

Hi,

sortie wrote:
Is it wrong that I am disappointed no huge controversy is yet to show up so I can step in and save the day?

This was predicted. We've actually got 8 active moderators now (including both Combuster and kmcguire), and normally there's only one or 2 incidents per day. That means each moderator might do something once every 4 days.

Also, don't be surprised if normal members are too scared to step out of line at the moment - the first person who passes gas is probably going to get crushed by a swarm of eager moderators! :lol:

sortie wrote:
Perhaps it has already happened and all traces are gone.

You're able to check the moderator logs (nothing has happened since before the changes). :)

Cheers,

Brendan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:52 pm 

Brendan wrote:
Note: Several weeks ago, AJ stepped down as an active moderator.

AJ was a superb moderator and I want to thank him for all the work he did here. I don't like to speak for other people, but in this case I'm sure that 99% or more of the people using this forum will agree.

MSB-OS: http://www.magicschoolbook.com/computing/os-project - direct machine code programming

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:37 am 

Haven't been here for a while but I have always wondered about the show-case moderators. I am tempted to believe that most of them had left the forum ages ago and probably are in the museum. I always thought REPLACEMENT was necessary not RECRUITMENT. Didn't see that happen though. Anyway, good to see new ones. Hope to see you do a better job.

For starters, you are free to delete this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:09 pm 

Great! We really needed that, and considering the list I'd say good choice of moderators as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:05 pm 

Five people who deserve the title and what comes with it. Congratulations to all of you. You've all done great things around here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:16 am 

Brendan wrote:
Note: Several weeks ago, AJ stepped down as an active moderator. This left myself as the only active moderator that visits the forums regularly; prompting the need for new moderators.

Hah, yes, I was actually wondering if someone had just removed me as a moderator, as I haven't been here in quite some time. I've been fairly busy; new job, new house in a new town, 2 girls, and a 3rd on the way.

However, I've started checking the board more regularly again. Seeing a lot of new faces.

I'm hoping to finally pick up my OS again. Maybe port to a Raspberry Pi. I'm also considering switching to C++; maybe borrow some code/concepts from Trion.

Anyway, long story short, I'm back in some capacity, at least :)

--Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:20 pm 

Quote:
Don't get your hopes up, I've only been the advisor in selecting new staff and might just move back to my heckler's balcony in due time

Ah, well, that's where the fun is!

Congrats, guys, I'm glad to see more moderators!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:17 am 

I've also returned (finally!) and am moderating what I see. Still going strong as a mod after 12 years - think I'm the longest-running mod on here (if you count the mega-tokyo time).

I can ask os64dev if he still wants to be a mod - recently accidentally found out he had become a team member of my team. I think it would be good to shorten the lists to people actively present on the forum, so it's not a once-gained merit badge but rather a list of people that actually deserve to be named there as highly visible.