OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: How to get the wiki for offline browing?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:37 pm 

Grashwandir wrote:
hi,
I read the entire post and much more... but I still don't know how to READ the offline archive!
The uncompressed files have no extension, there is not index.php or .html
sorry to be fool, I feel I'm missing something obvious but please I'm completly lost :cry:

I go vacation in two days, and I really want to bring this marvellous Wiki with me, please help me!

PS: forgive my poor english, I don't speak it very well, and now I'm very tired.

Thanks folks.

The method of dump has left the files...differently "abled"...for Windows filesystem-structure. Sorry but many are left out of luck. They can probably be viewed on a Linux OS and filesystem.

This is why I asked if anyone I beg, could post the last HTML dump that was from the DumpHTML extension that died...

"The DumpHTML extension is broken, hence no more backups."

I respect still, the ones providing the current backup even though I can't use it, they still spend a bit of bandwidth and time for others. Not flaming. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:29 am 

thanks for answer,
so there is no way to convert this files in html?
I can batch a script to add .html a the end :mrgreen: but where is the index?

edit: problem is I have 7 errors when I unzip the file, my dear Izarc tell me "File is a directory" should I try on linux or it's a waste of time?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:35 am 

Grashwandir wrote:
hi,
I read the entire post and much more... but I still don't know how to READ the offline archive!
The uncompressed files have no extension, there is not index.php or .html
sorry to be fool, I feel I'm missing something obvious but please I'm completly lost :cry:

I go vacation in two days, and I really want to bring this marvellous Wiki with me, please help me!

You want to develop an OS but don't know how to read some HTML files because they have no extension? Also, why would there be an index.php or index.html? Have you not looked at what page you're on when you go to wiki.osdev.org (i.e., Main_Page)?

I hate to have to say it, but you give me the impression of someone who is reading a book like Computers for Dummies (made-up title, although I wouldn't be surprised if it exists) and trying to apply some bullet-pointed hard rules using your computer.

Yuji1 wrote:
The method of dump has left the files...differently "abled"...for Windows filesystem-structure. Sorry but many are left out of luck. They can probably be viewed on a Linux OS and filesystem.

I'm on Windows and it works just fine here.

Grashwandir wrote:
thanks for answer,
so there is no way to convert this files in html?
I can batch a script to add .html a the end :mrgreen: but where is the index?

You obviously don't want that because then none of the links would work.

Grashwandir wrote:
edit: problem is I have 7 errors when I unzip the file, my dear Izarc tell me "File is a directory" should I try on linux or it's a waste of time?

Just use better decompression software. I use 7-Zip under Windows and it works just fine.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:01 am 

On Windows you will :not: be able to extract all files. You sure haven't tested it in trying to extract all. Colons cannot go in a file name or directory name. Computers for Dummies does exist I'm quite certain. Links won't work properly. I'm not making a video or gif to prove this.

I'd rather someone find a fix to DumpHTML rather than me download the entire site by a DA client. That is a lot of bandwidth...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:48 am 

Oh, that's what you meant. 7-Zip automatically replaces : with _, which is why I didn't notice those files and directories. Fortunately, only dicussion pages and category links seem to be broken. Images and templates work just fine with _ instead of :.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:57 am 

Holy crap, didn't notice that was you L4B. Er, seen your posts on the wiki, thank you for all your hard work and generous helps. Didn't mean to sound negative, frustrated about the dump is all. I've always liked WinRAR simply because way-back-whenver it handled everything I ever needed, extracts characters without replacement. If only someone had the last working, well, DumpHTML dump it'd be a life-saver. I was big on categories and linking. What seems to be broken about the extension?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:09 am 

It probably stopped working when chase updated to a newer MediaWiki version. This might be the explanation and possibly the fix:

MediaWiki extensions manual wrote:
dumpHTML is an extension for generating a simple HTML dump, including images and media files, of a MediaWiki installation. MediaWiki versions before 1.12.0 used the maintenance script dumpHTML.php instead.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:49 am 

Quote:
You want to develop an OS but don't know how to read some HTML files because they have no extension?

I know how to read it thanks... I don't know how to read ALL the wiki offline (don't know if I need some local server to make it work) with working links.

Quote:
I hate to have to say it, but you give me the impression of someone who is reading a book like Computers for Dummies (made-up title, although I wouldn't be surprised if it exists) and trying to apply some bullet-pointed hard rules using your computer.

Seriously? U give me the impression of throwing up my lunch, what's wrong with asking something I don't know... I never use a wiki-system, and I beg for my ignorance of dumpHTML use.
I never read book for dummies about computer (but those about chess and bridge are cool), by now I'm reading Introduction to the Math of Neural Networks and it's enough for me thanks, I worked more on algorithms than programming.

Quote:
Have you not looked at what page you're on when you go to wiki.osdev.org (i.e., Main_Page)?

yes I looked, yes I can read this file in the archive, but none of the links work (as u said).

Quote:
You obviously don't want that because then none of the links would work.

I obviously don't want you're unconstructive comment either, so why can't you just tell me how to read the site offline by any f*****g way (like how dumpHTML work) instead of bashing me?

Quote:
Holy crap, didn't notice that was you L4B. Er, seen your posts on the wiki, thank you for all your hard work and generous helps.

I did... but still don't see the generous helps... maybe you think I'm too stupid for you, so just keep ignoring me!
Intelligence is also being understood... not only understand.

PS: I read a lot of english but almost never speak it (unless to humans) so it's quite difficult to express myself here. Even if I think you completly don't care about that...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:58 am 

[-X [-X [-X

Grashwandir wrote:
I did... but still don't see the generous helps... maybe you think I'm too stupid for you, so just keep ignoring me!

Intelligence is about the ability to work with what you have. Quit bitching about what free help you do get and be thankful.

Grashwandir wrote:
PS: I read a lot of english but almost never speak it (unless to humans) so it's quite difficult to express myself here. Even if I think you completly don't care about that...

You don't sound one bit 'intelligent' with fancied grammar. No one is impressed here with grammar. ...Especially with those typos, lower-cased English, flawed grammar too. I don't give a damn for grammar myself but whatever, you don't a bit impress anyone here. Go get your own wiki if you're here to *****. Otherwise apologize, be productive and thankful.

[-X [-X [-X

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:10 am 

Grashwandir wrote:
(don't know if I need some local server to make it work)

You do not.

Grashwandir wrote:
Seriously? U give me the impression of throwing up my lunch, what's wrong with asking something I don't know...

There's a difference between criticism and insults. Please be careful not to step over the line. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with asking about something you don't know. My point was that being in this community should imply that you are a good user (because this has to do with being a user, not a programmer).

Grashwandir wrote:
I never use a wiki-system, and I beg for my ignorance of dumpHTML use.

I've never hosted a wiki either. Until this thread, I never even knew there was such a thing as dumpHTML. What I was doing was to state the obvious.

Grashwandir wrote:
I never read book for dummies about computer (but those about chess and bridge are cool), by now I'm reading Introduction to the Math of Neural Networks and it's enough for me thanks, I worked more on algorithms than programming.

I'm not sure why we'd be interested in any of this; it's off-topic.

Grashwandir wrote:
yes I looked, yes I can read this file in the archive, but none of the links work (as u said).

They do for me---except for the discussion and category pages.

Grashwandir wrote:
I obviously don't want you're unconstructive comment either, so why can't you just tell me how to read the site offline by any f*****g way (like how dumpHTML work) instead of bashing me?

Umm... I was pretty certain that we covered exactly that in this very thread:

• Use better decompression software to extract the files (I mentioned that 7-Zip worked for me). Alternatively, use wget (see chase's post).
  • Without adding any extensions, open Main_Page with your browser (e.g., by dragging the file; there are numerous other ways).
  • ???
  • Profit.

I don't know anything about dumpHTML but the newest version, from the page I linked, might do the trick. But it's a wiki extension and you're not running the wiki, which is why no one told you how to fix it.

Grashwandir wrote:

I don't want to start a flame but this sort of amused me. You are complaining about not being understood and then list being understood as one of the requirements for intelligence. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:00 am 

Sorry for my 9 years old behaviour, It finally works...
I really apologize, sometimes I'm allergic to critics. Maybe childhood trauma :D I'm a big susceptible :oops: , each one has his own weakness, hope U will have no rancor/grudge (dear god I'm bad in english).
And thanks to have waste ure time answering me...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:07 am 

Just my a bit offtopic post:

nolyc @ freenode factoid wrote:
Using AOLisms such as 'u', 'ur', 'dmb', 'l8r', 'r', 'srsly', 'thx', 'cuz', 'n8', 'ppl', '@ll', 'any1' etc. tells us that you are lazy, inarticulate and/or want to look like that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:27 am 

The current layout of the files in the ZIP is bad.
1,017 files are "floating" around and there's no index.html (you're looking for the file Main_Page).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:06 pm 

That's because it's a wiki dump and not a standalone website.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:53 pm 

*sad bump* (Been a long time) Bump "Anyone have a copy of old working dumpHTML copy?"