OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Game Boy Coding, anyone ?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:06 am 

hello all! Happy new year to those i haven't wished so far ...

Well, i bought myself a Nintendo DS for xmas ... parts because of the games i love, and parts because i'd like to come back to game programming.

I know there are resource dangling around for GBA programming (that i should find back in my bookmarks) and there are probably similar resources for the DS (that google will certainly reveal).

I just wished to probe how many of you are interrested in nintendo programming and if MT is a good place for experience sharing in that area ...

Post subject: Re:Game Boy Coding, anyone ?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:13 am 

Pype.Clicker wrote:
hello all! Happy new year to those i haven't wished so far ...

Well, i bought myself a Nintendo DS for xmas ... parts because of the games i love, and parts because i'd like to come back to game programming.

I know there are resource dangling around for GBA programming (that i should find back in my bookmarks) and there are probably similar resources for the DS (that google will certainly reveal).

I just wished to probe how many of you are interrested in nintendo programming and if MT is a good place for experience sharing in that area ...

Might be sort of cool, but I'm in over my head in tooooo many things already. I'll keep it to my OS and hardware and so on. No GBA or DS for me until I can afford both the game computer and the time to use it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:23 am 
It'd be cool, and definitely'd give new ideas, insights and experience.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:25 am 
I actually own both but dont like the DS as much as the GBA. The fact that you have to use a stylus pen for most of the games ruins it for me as I so used to using the arrow keys and the a and b buttons.

Quote:

Id say go for it, you've got my full support. Its been a while since Ive tinkered with any of the nintendo hardware and it would be nice to talk to someone about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:40 am 
I'd really like to do some GBA programming. I downloaded some different IDEs like Visual Ham and DevKitAdvance at different times, but I never really learnt how to program for them, as I was busy with other things. I think it would be great to get a flash linker, and play my own games on my GBA.

-Stephen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:42 am 
Just wondering, is there any possibility of a gameboy programming board?

-Stephen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:53 am 
Count me in! I'd be interested, for sure!

It's been on my list of to-do for a long time now. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:51 am 

Steve the Pirate wrote:
Just wondering, is there any possibility of a gameboy programming board?

Well, there might have been if "i ownz" was ranking at least 30% and "i'd love to" ranked at least 50%, but the poll seems to prove people that do GBA dev don't visit MT that much...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:55 pm 
I have a DS & gameboy advance SP and am very interested in programming them, i even set aside a DS programming spot on my web site. I was thinking about using my OS to program and upload homebrew programs to the DS . I have port fasm to my OS and theres a ARM converter for fasm http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?t=4191.
May need some work for DS programming etc.
Heres a good site: http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/

So count me and other members of the Dex4u team in.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:13 pm 
hello,

i've been programming consoles for several years and i've had some experience with gba as well it's ancestor gb. i've also a semi-abandoned gba project at sf (http://sf.net/projects/demi).

we've been writing a UNIX-like OS for consoles, targetting sega genesis at first stage. but the school sched is quite heavy this year (and probaby following years), so -damn it- i can't get my hands on it these days... however, i'd like join the debated on them :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:20 am 
A full, publishing quality ebook on programming the gameboyadvance
it is very, very good im at chapter 4 and have made my own little fill screen and other not so useful things
and heres the best part, its FREE!
http://www.jharbour.com/gameboy/default.aspx

it actually was going to be a good book and then legal problems hit so instead he made it an ebook

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:15 pm 
Are these both using the Gameboy Z80? like the old gameboy and gameboy color?

The GB Z80 is basically a Z80 (of course) without the second register file (AFAIK).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:25 pm 
ummm what?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:32 pm 
srg wrote:
Are these both using the Gameboy Z80? like the old gameboy and gameboy color?

The GB Z80 is basically a Z80 (of course) without the second register file (AFAIK).

Just started reading the ebook which hckr83 pointed us to, according to them, the GBA uses an ARM7 cpu instead of the Z80.

edit: interesting however: doesn't the GBA run Game Boy Classic games as well? How is this accomplished? Software emulation?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:27 pm 
an extra piece of hardware
The gba has a ARM cpu but also a Z80 cpu for backwards compatability
to me it is smart but almost crazy sounding, it would be like your pc having a brandnew pentium 4 cpu for the new programs/os's you run and having an old 8086 for when you wanted to run dos or legacy apps

but think about it the smart sided way; when the gamebox advance came out it already had a ton of games that ran just fine(and i think better) so its actually quite smart especially with it not having too much of an effect on price(i think)