exFAT notes

All about the OSDev Wiki. Discussions about the organization and general structure of articles and how to use the wiki. Request changes here if you don't know how to use the wiki.
Candy

exFAT notes

Post by Candy »

Some small notes for a to-be-written exFAT wiki page:

- exFAT uses 32-bit FAT entries.
- When a file in exFAT has it's "no-fat-entries" bit set, assume they'd all be consecutive.
- Block allocation bitmap is leading over the FAT.
- FAT is still used for what it did before.
- There's a boot area of 24 sectors containing two large boot blocks of 12 sectors each.
- There's usually only one FAT that's mostly unfilled (because of that no-fat-entries bit).

- Using this information within a place where Microsoft holds its patents on this stuff is probably illegal. I don't live in such a place so I have no problem with using this information. The only reason I'd like to support exFAT is for interoperability with a future video camera or photocamera.

There's an awesome reverse engineering by a forensic examiner to be found at
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... 6q_7CRkmuQ

Also found if you google for "exfat reverse engineer".
gerryg400

Re: exFAT notes

Post by gerryg400 »

Using this information within a place where Microsoft holds its patents on this stuff is probably illegal. I don't live in such a place
No enforceable software patents on ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha ? Cool !

That is a serious reverse-engineering effort.
If a trainstation is where trains stop, what is a workstation ?
Candy

Post by Candy »

gerryg400 wrote:No enforceable software patents on ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha ? Cool !

ZZ9 Plural Z alpha, planet Earth, country Netherlands that is. Just traceroute to the IP address, should tell you the route to our solar system. Or didn't we roll out universe-wide traceroute & long-latency pings yet?
Combuster
Freenode IRC: [com]buster
Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance

Post by Combuster »

Only that non-staff doesn't have access to your IP :wink:
"Certainly avoid yourself. He is a newbie and might not realize it. You'll hate his code deeply a few years down the road." - Sortie
[ My OS ] [ VDisk/SFS ]
Candy

Post by Candy »

Looks like I'm the only one that does this for fun.

I've updated the page at http://wiki.osdev.org/ExFAT with some basic info which, together with assuming it's otherwise FAT32, should be enough to make a read-only driver. There are too many unknowns to read-write though, and I know there's a hashing function in there somewhere so I know that there's oppurtunity for actively messing it up so don't use this as write info.

Filesystem reverse-engineered from only publicly accessible data on a non-Microsoft computer without working exFAT driver, with only publicly available data.