Error in IDT wiki article

All about the OSDev Wiki. Discussions about the organization and general structure of articles and how to use the wiki. Request changes here if you don't know how to use the wiki.
crazy2k

Error in IDT wiki article

Post by crazy2k »

Hello. I found a small error in the IDT article in the wiki. IDTR's base field is a linear (not physical) address. Also, Is it correct what it says about bits 0..2? And shouldn't size be sizeof(idt) - 1?

Thanks,
crazy2k

Re: Error in IDT wiki article

Post by crazy2k »

Oh, I just realized those fields are in the register, and they're not necessarily the same the structure you have in memory and load using lidt has. Anyway, in the "Loading/Storing" section, it says the offset is "the virtual address of the table itself", and it should say "linear".

Thanks,
gerryg400

Post by gerryg400 »

IDTR's base field is a linear (not physical) address.
Correct, it's linear, not physical, not segment relative.
Also, Is it correct what it says about bits 0..2?
No, I don't think so. All bits would be needed especially since the limit will always be an odd number I think.
And shouldn't size be sizeof(idt) - 1?
Yes, meaning the limit is always odd.
If a trainstation is where trains stop, what is a workstation ?
Nable

Post by Nable »

And at least one more thing: in the article we can read that non-present entry causes #GPF but if we look into AMD manual vol2 chapter 8.2.12 we'll see:
An #NP occurs when an attempt is made to load a segment or gate with a clear present bit, as described
in the following situations:
- Referencing a gate descriptor containing a clear present bit.