The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Off-Topic Thread Splits Are Excessive
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:23 pm 

<ThreadReference Title="[Crazy] Creating a OS in BrainFuck">
http://forum.osdev.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&p=166261#p166261
</ThreadReference>

umm.. does two barely, slightly, hardly irrelevant posts really need a thread split? Someone mentioned in that thread about making a 512 byte BF competition. Should that also be branched, as it's slightly irrelevant to the implementation of such a kernel(which is mainly what the thread is about)

also, I hope this post doesn't get split over to the About This Site forum for being off topic

Post subject: Re: Off-Topic Thread Splits Are Excessive
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:44 pm 

I completely agree with you Earlz. You likely feel like you were treated in an unfair manner. We are just simply looking out for the interest of the community. At times perfectly valid and interesting threads are ruined by too much off-topic traffic.

The "512 byte BF competition" post was more on topic and actually would benefit the original poster and all the follow up posts. The two posts that were split where sort of negative because they presented absolutely nothing positive to the conversation.

I understand that no one intended to do anything wrong, incorrect, or even negative. That is why I am able to moderate the forum so that I can help provide the environment where questions can be answered, comments can be reviewed, and people are not constantly disrupted either by accident or intentionally. It is my responsibility as a moderator.

Now that there is a completely seperate thread this can be discussed and the input from everyone can be heard which is exactly what I like to have but in a controlled manner where it is not disruptive to existing threads.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:29 pm 

Location: Supporting the cause: Use \tabs to indent code. NOT \x20 spaces.
Hey: no reason to complain. I think it's good: helps me be alittle more pensive about my detours when posting. It'll probably help the topics within the Operating System Development and Design and Theory Forums remain more serious.

The effort on the part of the moderators is appreciated.

17:56 < sortie> Paging is called paging because you need to draw it on pages in your notebook to succeed at it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:08 pm 

Well, I can understand when somethign is like 10 replies to something having nothing to do with the original topic. But, there were two replies how creating such an OS is crazy. I consider that excessive.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:21 pm 

Wow, that thread your first post linked to now makes no sense. I agree, there was nothing that warranted the need for it. I do appreciate the effort though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:40 am 

I believe we all have our own off-topic post stories to tell, and some have have more than others. Two of my own posts, one which was my first topic post, and a second one suddenly turned into a conversation about spoons: spoon feeding, spoon shapes, where to get spoons, the list goes on. I eventually got so desperate, I started begging moderators to lock the posts! One of 'em got locked, and the other one eventually died out. Combuster even joined the spoon conversation both times. (He was still a mod at the time.)

I got the feeling that he was falling down on the job, and has gotten extremely low ratings from me. Not because I was a newbie and he liked to trample newbies like I was, but because he failed to do his job. (MY point-of-view, NOT yours.) Whether or not he did his job 1 or two years ago, I'll never know. Out of the 12 moderators elected, not counting chase, I only see 5 of them on a regular basis, and 3 ever do anything. It's about time to get some new mods.

But this is about off-topic posts, so you didn't hear anything from me.