OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Embedding YouTude Videos Is A Problem
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:43 am 

Stop embedding YouTube videos, Chase should never have added that ability.. not everyone here has Flash, and not everyone has high speed Internet.

There is definitely a way to utilize that BBCode tag to load external scripts.. clearly has Bad Idea written all over it.

Post subject: Re: Issue with as86/ld86 and ORG
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:57 am 

If you have a problem with it, take it up with the admin. It gave me the option to post a video, I did, sorry if LYNX doesn't play it. It's 2009, I think people can handle it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:08 pm 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
There's an user preference to disable flash, which obviously is broken.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:48 pm 

myk wrote:
If you have a problem with it, take it up with the admin. It gave me the option to post a video, I did, sorry if LYNX doesn't play it. It's 2009, I think people can handle it.

I'm sorry, but the date has nothing to do with the ability to handle proprietary web content, nor would I want to waste any more bandwidth watching your home movies on OSDev forums.

Combuster wrote:

Indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:27 pm 

Brynet-Inc wrote:
myk wrote:

I'm sorry, but the date has nothing to do with the ability to handle proprietary web content, nor would I want to waste any more bandwidth watching your home movies on OSDev forums.

Combuster wrote:

Indeed.

Seriously, you came in here just to ***** about me using youtube? Let's break this down:

Brynet-Inc wrote:
Stop embedding YouTube videos,

I was given the option to, SORRY don't watch it then.

Brynet-Inc wrote:
Chase should never have added that ability..

Take that up with Chase, not me. Stop thread crapping because you don't like flash.

Brynet-Inc wrote:
not everyone here has Flash,

If you don't have flash, don't worry about it. I'm not going to upload a video in some unused format so 3 people who have issues with "proprietary software" can use it.

Brynet-Inc wrote:
and not everyone has high speed Internet.

Ok,... It's 2009, if you're on 56k then deal with it.

Stop trolling

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:53 pm 

Alright, let's see if I can keep the temperature down to 70 degrees Fahrenheit*...

Combuster wrote:

Yeah, it's brokened. I have [flash] off and I still see the embed. Which isn't a [flash] tag, see the code box below...

myk wrote:
Brynet-Inc wrote:
Chase should never have added that ability..

If you have a problem with it, take it up with the admin. It gave me the option to post a video, I did, sorry if LYNX doesn't play it.

Agreed. Don't go eg. "that was a stupid idea" without proof it's stupid/useless/a pain/too modern for your tastes.

myk wrote:
I'm not going to upload a video in some unused format so 3 people who have issues with "proprietary software" can use it.

Again, agreed. FLV is a very popular format for streaming video on the internets, so just because you, Brynet, dislike proprietary crap. You wouldn't have a problem with it at ALL if there was a fully functional free software plugin in the OpenBSD repos. It has nothing to do with the fact some may still be on 56K or low-speed ISDN. You sir, are a very predictable and/or patternistic (a Troyism™) zealot.

And besides, I don't think it started loading the video until I hit play.

Brynet-Inc wrote:
There is definitely a way to utilize that BBCode tag to load external scripts.. clearly has Bad Idea written all over it.

What? Loading an external script using the [flash] tag? I was under the impression it just embedded .swf and .flv files... What he used was the [youtube] tag, which it practically a literal HTML insert, and as such, should be removed. Here's the code that shows up when I quote the embeds, for proof:

Code:
[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A90_V2VUr1A&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A90_V2VUr1A&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bhv8hGZ2fSQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bhv8hGZ2fSQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Betcha it could be used to reorder the words in a page dynamically... :twisted:

* That's room temperature for those who don't know.

It keeps stunning me how friendly we - as a community - are towards people who start programming "their first OS" who don't even have a solid understanding of pointers, their compiler, or how a OS is structured.

I wish I could add more tex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:03 pm 

Thanks Troy,

Let's get back on topic, I apologize for getting a little peeved.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:11 pm 

*takes the room temperature and compares it to the thread temperature*

Well, looks the same. Woohoo!

myk wrote:
Let's get back on topic, I apologize for getting a little peeved.

I think there is no longer anything on topic in here, since it's gotten stranded three or four times, which would require three or four different topic splits.

Eep.

It keeps stunning me how friendly we - as a community - are towards people who start programming "their first OS" who don't even have a solid understanding of pointers, their compiler, or how a OS is structured.

I wish I could add more tex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:17 pm 

Actually, you're right this thread really isn't even about the original topic anymore.

Well might as well let this thing die unless someone else has something useful to talk about :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:15 pm 

I do not have a problem with proprietary software, just proprietary technology that becomes a de facto standard.

As for my Internet connection, it is far from dial-up.. 16/1 Mbit cable... but there are also many people on this forum from countries without affordable high speed connectivity.

FLV was reverse engineered and is supported by many programs, indeed.. but it is often hidden and obscured by Flash players that do not provide a method of downloading without the intervention of some other 3rd party.

As for me utilizing Flash if it was natively available, that is very unlikely.. I don't see how watching hours and hours of you and your friends putting mentos into diet cola is in any way productive.

While I apologize for going off topic, I get a little "peeved" by people who are absolutely oblivious and ignorant of vendor lock-in.

I'm not a zealot, just someone who is annoyed by inappropriate uses of Flash.. especially websites with 5/10 lines of HTML with the only purpose of loading some random Flash applet.

As for the security of the tag, I was reacting to what I noticed when attempting to quote myk.. mentioning the odd amount of whitespace in his post.. it appeared as if someone would be able to insert HTML into the body of the web page without any sort of input filtering, I was indeed incorrect about that, sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:33 pm 

myk wrote:
If you don't have flash, don't worry about it. I'm not going to upload a video in some unused format so 3 people who have issues with "proprietary software" can use it.

An unused format? there are many common formats that are available and compatible with multiple operating systems and players.

What happened to uploading a nice XviD encoded MPEG-4 file on some random file sharing website? or even setting up a website and indexing the files there.

Call me old fashioned, but I still think there is an easier way to distribute media without restricting all "3" of us from watching your videos.

You do realize this is an OSDev website? are you hoping for Adobe to port Flash to your operating system?

And what is with everyone assuming that anyone in disagreement with them is a troll? I admit to ruffling a few feathers here in the past.. but in this case, I was expressing my disappointment with you and the millions of other technically ignorant people, corporations and governments.

Post subject: Re: Embedding YouTude Videos Is A Problem
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:46 pm 

1. I locked the thread.
2. The conversation was likely going to go completely negative and add nothing positive to the forums.
3. I delete the last post by someone because it was a little nasty and added nothing helpful.

4. I am going to let another moderator handle this, if it needs to be unlocked, continued, or any other action needed.

I am not favoring the last poster I just happened to have to lock this thread at this point. I am completely neutral about who is right and wrong.

Post subject: Re: Embedding YouTude Videos Is A Problem
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:11 am 

Nope - we'll just leave it there. I think both points of view have been put across and nothing useful is going to come of a delete or an unlock.

Cheers,
Adam

Post subject: Re: Queen Bohemian Rhapsody Old School Computer Remix
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:54 pm 

Embedded YouTube videos are lame, click here.

For additional lameness.. try here, preferably just go suck a lemon.

Last edited by kmcguire on Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]