OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's left of the forum?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:00 am 

But your move assumes that the newbies come here first, and the regulars hang out at your forum.

How many, do you think, will make the switch? How many will stay here? How many will bother to frequent both forums? How is anyone supposed to find "your" forum, except for your link here? How many will get annoyed enough to leave both forums if there actually is a split?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:07 am 

well
troy...
as solar said earlyer
they will leave
and that is not good
because many of them are the types like "let try it" and if they dont get a little help , then there will be no news.

but i also agree a little with you about some post ( not always too smart..) but we have even been that ourselfs.
so a real solution ?
does not exist
it will either make it more difficult for the onces here all the time, and the news.

KMT dk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:10 am 

Ah, Solar you remind me of my early days and my "Crashproof OS" BareMetal. Lucky for me, I've learned fast,lol. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:35 am 

Its good to neglect newbies to some extent, but not too much. The problem is statistically only very rarely should advanced questions be asked. The reason being, not many people get very far in their os's to be able to ask them, and if you do manage to get far, most likely you wont need to ask because youve learned a lot along the way. Also, once your os becomes advanced, finding bugs becomes much more difficult, and no one can really help you unless they understand your code, which at that point is probably pretty big. But you shouldnt spoon feed people either, because then they become dependant and dont learn to rely on themselves first

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:59 pm 

Quote:
That, in my mind, is a good thing. ....... If they do, the amount of questions will fall, and the newbies will become regulars, posting with the rest of us

I think you're mixing newbies with noobs - one has the ability to ask smart questions, knows C or C++, and is ready to put in some work. The other has no idea.

I believe newbie questions are what keep osdev.org alive. Lose the newbies, questions will fall, and the reason for most of those regulars to show up here is suddenly gone. Why show up if you can't offer help?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:33 pm 

Quote:
Sorry, guys. What we see here is the usual "departure of the old ones". They get out of university, or get a life, or both, and their hobby OS projects go dormant. This has happened to many great ones. Pype/Clicker or Candy come to mind. I myself could contribute more if I had the time, both to continue my own OS project and actually hang out here.

uhmm...
This reminds me of the good old days when I first joined mega-tokyo,and the great guys
like Candy ,Pype and Tim Robinson,does any body here remember him anymore?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:38 pm 

Tim Robinson... what a legend. His Mobius operating system inspired me greatly.

That said, there is no point harping on about those who have left. As Solar has said, we all must strive to be one of those who is harped on about. That is the way forward. Let us all take pride in what we do.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:46 pm 

JackScott wrote:
That said, there is no point harping on about those who have left. As Solar has said, we all must strive to be one of those who is harped on about. That is the way forward. Let us all take pride in what we do.

For the forum! For the wiki! For those who have come before us! We must press on! We must fight for our common society! We must, and we will, defeat the pressures of the outside world, and establish our superiority to those far and wide! Come one and all, you have nothing to lose but your chains! Fight for the interland!

In all seriousness, I'm afraid I have to say that the death of this place is nearly imminent. Besides the noticeable decline in 'intelligent conversation', the osdev arena is not as it was years ago when megatokyo and friends existed. The Internet has changed. It's a new beast. There are more and more laymen that are online. Combined with the increasing ease that the trend towards 'A-blind-dog-could-follow-these-steps' tutorials provide, the growing number of 'annoying folk' is only going to continue. This growth, then, kills the desire for more 'sagely' members to return, thus killing the site. (As said.)

We are the over productive farmer of the Great Depression.

C8H10N4O2 | #446691 | Trust the nodes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:09 pm 

J.R.R. Tolkien wrote:
I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of OSDevers fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of tutorials and WebOS's, when the age of OSDevers comes crushing down! But it is not this day! THIS DAY WE FIGHT! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, people of OSDev.org!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:18 am 

Hi,
I am possibly the oldest 'active' member in this forum other than Dex based on the joining date . I was never a part of Mega - Tokyo . I was in osdev.org , all the way :D . In fact I am older than Candy and Solar :) . I have seen lots of people go in and out :) .There are three phases basically

(a) initial excitement
(b) becoming knowledgeable and getting bored (somewhat :) ) .
Many people may or may not make past this phase . :D
(c) helping others whenever possible and having fun ( Which happens to be by current phase :) )

Regards
Shrek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:36 am 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
Shrek wrote:
Hi,
I am possibly the oldest 'active' member in this forum other than Dex based on the joining date.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but all of the old crew, Solar, Candy have been into OS development years before you showed up on the scene, all having several years at MegaTokyo before the merge reset the join dates. Even I (and at least Brynet-Inc as well) got into the community about a year before you did. Even here, Brendan was a native well before either the merge and you, as is f.x. MessiahAndrew.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:38 am 

Hi,
I said it based on the joining date shown on left :D.I didn't know that . I am here for fun and learning :) .
Regards
Shrek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:22 am 

I took a look at Pype profile and he visited the forum on the 11 Mar,
so people sometimes come back.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:09 am 

J.R.R. Tolkien wrote:
I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of OSDevers fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of tutorials and WebOS's, when the age of OSDevers comes crushing down! But it is not this day! THIS DAY WE FIGHT! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, people of OSDev.org!

I had to repeat that. It's beautiful, and it's true.

Alboin wrote:
In all seriousness, I'm afraid I have to say that the death of this place is nearly imminent.

If we continue to talk like that, it is.

"In all seriousness", the whole idea of writing your own OS is facing ridiculous odds, so if we listened to the naysayers, we wouldn't be here at all. :-D

Quote:
The Internet has changed. It's a new beast. There are more and more laymen that are online. Combined with the increasing ease that the trend towards 'A-blind-dog-could-follow-these-steps' tutorials provide, the growing number of 'annoying folk' is only going to continue. This growth, then, kills the desire for more 'sagely' members to return, thus killing the site. (As said.)

I blame it on the casting shows and "reality TV", really. Today, kids are taught that you don't need to study, you don't need talent, all it takes is for someone to shine the spotlight on you, and suddenly you are famous. This attitude reflects in so many things, and while one out of a million might make it to the spotlight, it leaves so many depressed souls behind...

While I feel like an old dinosaur sometimes, I still remember - more or less fondly - how I was brought up. "Study", "study harder", and "boy, you are intelligent, if you'd just study harder you could be great one day."

Of course I didn't really listen, but I guess it shaped me nevertheless.

Quote:
We are the over productive farmer of the Great Depression.

Time for a locust plague, hm? :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:44 am 

Alboin wrote:
In all seriousness, I'm afraid I have to say that the death of this place is nearly imminent. Besides the noticeable decline in 'intelligent conversation', the osdev arena is not as it was years ago when megatokyo and friends existed. The Internet has changed. It's a new beast. There are more and more laymen that are online. Combined with the increasing ease that the trend towards 'A-blind-dog-could-follow-these-steps' tutorials provide, the growing number of 'annoying folk' is only going to continue. This growth, then, kills the desire for more 'sagely' members to return, thus killing the site. (As said.)

It appears it has come down to sparking rational conversation through possibly controversial topics (this one included.) Quite sad, really...

Solar wrote:
Time for a locust plague, hm? :twisted:

Request to invite thousands of noobs and spambots denied.

You know, we could just have some test to see if new users can handle OSDev... *searches for a phpBB3 extension...*

It keeps stunning me how friendly we - as a community - are towards people who start programming "their first OS" who don't even have a solid understanding of pointers, their compiler, or how a OS is structured.

I wish I could add more tex

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next