All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Spam
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:49 pm 

Isn't the answer 'Hurd'?

C8H10N4O2 | #446691 | Trust the nodes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:05 pm 

Hey,
That's what i thought , but i thought of searching before posting ,and this is what i found :oops: from the HURD site

Quote:
What Is the GNU Hurd? The GNU Hurd is the GNU project's replacement for the Unix kernel. The Hurd is a collection of servers that run on the Mach microkernel to implement file systems, network protocols, file access control, and other features that are implemented by the Unix kernel or similar kernels (such as Linux)

Regards
Shrek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:18 pm 

berkus wrote:
Colonel Kernel wrote:
I think the answer to the skill-testing question is: Mach.

And now surprisingly Mach is in more and more machines shipping with Mac OS X or iPhone OS :) So maybe the answer to this one is ought to become different in the future :P

Except it's not really being used as a microkernel... Sort of yes, sort of no. AFAIK Mach handles the basics of thread scheduling and IPC, but all the drivers and *nix system calls are handled in a separate Mach task running in ring 0. It's a really weird hybrid system (and also explains how a 32-bit "kernel" could run 64-bit apps...).

3. My brain got stuck in an infinite loop while trying to design the memory manager
Don't let this happen to you!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:30 pm 

I was intending the answer to be the Mach kernel. But it could be an open-ended question excepting a variety of answers.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:05 am 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
My main problem with that kind of question is that it can't be answered by a quick google, let alone being directly mentioned on the wiki. And that there is no absolute answer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:55 pm 

Combuster wrote:
My main problem with that kind of question is that it can't be answered by a quick google, let alone being directly mentioned on the wiki. And that there is no absolute answer.

I was trying to think of a question that couldn't be answered by a quick google (or worded in a way that googling it would deem impossible), so you would require some fairly basic OS theory knowledge before one could start posting here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:48 am 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
MessiahAndrw wrote:
Combuster wrote:

I was trying to think of a question that couldn't be answered by a quick google (or worded in a way that googling it would deem impossible), so you would require some fairly basic OS theory knowledge before one could start posting here.

The consequence of that is that no newcomers to the scene can join. And I don't think that is what we want.

Asking something that's on the wiki (something like a FAQ question) eliminates all bots, as well as most n00bs that wont ever be bothered to do some research, but allow the people that are willing to invest some time of their own (and thus are worthy of getting answers here)

Just don't fall for the generalisation that noobs (they who don't know) and newbies (they who don't know yet) are the same people.