OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Working on the OS FAQ [Mega-Tokyo Wiki]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:47 am 

The OS FAQ is available at http://www.osdev.org/osfaq2

This thread is for those editing the Wiki.

Post subject: Re:Working on the OS FAQ
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:48 am 

Question: Is it correct that, if you want to write inline code, that implies you're using GNU as?

Phrased differently, can you inline NASM code in some way?

(Never used NASM myself...)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:37 pm 

mm tired. have setup the redirects from the old faq now.

if i get time ill see if i can dig back through old threads and things.. its just very time consuming...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:18 pm 

Solar wrote:
Question: Is it correct that, if you want to write inline code, that implies you're using GNU as?

afaik, you'll have to write your inline ASM with gas, which is the only assembler GCC will write code for (correct me if i'm wrong). However, using #define i(x) ".syntax intel noprefix" x ".syntax att prefix" accurately, you should be able to write intel-like instructions in inline assembly (the exact daemon summoning magic is to be cross-checked in the g00gle Black Book, of course ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:07 pm 
I think that on some architectures GCC can output for the platform-native assembler too, but it's not going to output NASM stuff, so unless you write a backend for that, you have to live with the AT&T syntax in inline.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:24 pm 
On the plus side the GAS syntax is actually quite nice once you get used to it (I'm currently deep into converting my old NASM source into GAS...fun :)).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:38 am 

Please do not add links unless you write that page afterwards!

Writing a page is a contribution. Adding "dead links" to the Wiki is just annoying, IMNSHO. It makes the Wiki look "empty" (which it isn't, we're doing a terrific job there!), and basically you're demanding people to write your pages. Moreover, it's a pain to keep not-yet-existing-but-demanded pages in mind when structuring your stuff as you write.

I took the liberty of weeding out several "dead links", joining them into one where applicable (exokernel, nanokernel, virtualizing kernel for example).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:30 am 

there are two things that i would like to know about the FAQ:
- where did the old good FAQ disappear ? i feel like there was stuff there that i cannot find back at other places...
- is there a way to get a plain flat HTML document out of the wiki content. I think at people who could wish to print the FAQ when we'll be done ...

Also, would someone mind if i use the Wiki for my 'collected infos about...' i have a few threads like these that are dormant in the forum (all we know about PS2 mouse, all we know about USB, all we know about ultra-dma), etc ...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:56 am 

Pype.Clicker wrote:
there are two things that i would like to know about the FAQ:
- where did the old good FAQ disappear ? i feel like there was stuff there that i cannot find back at other places...

It's still there, only the index page has been replaced with a redirect. http://www.mega-tokyo.com/os/os-faq-intro.html still gives you the intro. I admit it will be difficult to navigate with the index page gone.

Quote:
- is there a way to get a plain flat HTML document out of the wiki content. I think at people who could wish to print the FAQ when we'll be done ...

It is possible (for someone with admin priviledge) to dump the Wiki in XHTML format - one HTML page per Wiki page. There's no such thing as "print all", though. (I use the same Wiki software for the Pro-POS site...)

Quote:
Also, would someone mind if i use the Wiki for my 'collected infos about...' i have a few threads like these that are dormant in the forum (all we know about PS2 mouse, all we know about USB, all we know about ultra-dma), etc ...

Why, just integrate the stuff in the main Wiki...?!?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:34 am 

well, actually i wasn't sure such "high-level" information would fit the same audience as the rest of the faq, so i was thinking at a "Collected Knowledge from the Forum" link on the FAQ page and a secondary page there ... now if most of you think i can put each topic right in the Wiki (i mean appearing at the same level as 'scheduling algorithms', 'what is GRUB' and 'microkernel' ...), i'll just do so ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:24 am 
the old faq is still there

http://www.mega-tokyo.com/os/os-faqX.html

-df

i might have some time next week to do some faq additions.. since I have a week before I fly out, but my mates have dialup and intermittent access, so.. if internet is expensive i wont be adding anything :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:38 am 

Oi! Nutta! :-[

That's where all the dead links came from, which I have weeded out the last two or three days - from pages that are there in the old FAQ but didn't make it to the new one! I thought all the old stuff was already transferred... sorry for the hassle.

I'm not feeling too well tonight, but I'll clean up the mess I've created tomorrow, promise! :-\

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:00 pm 

dont worry bout it. im not :D things will work themselves out over time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:13 pm 
I must admit, some of the links in question were ones I added; I had meant to add pages form them but never got around to them all.

I also a bit concerned that some of what I've added may be outside the scope of the FAQ, especially the more theoretical material (Kernel Types, Scehduling, etc.). While they do fit the definition of Frequently Asked Questions, and I made a point to keep them limited to a basic definition rather than a full exposition on them, I can't help but worry that the new entries I've added are going in a direction away from DF's intent.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:00 pm 

That's a very basic question: Do we want this Wiki to be "only" a FAQ, or do we allow it to grow into something larger?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next