OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re:Working on the OS FAQ
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:35 am 

Sorry for the ~5 minutes of chaos in the Wiki, but this latest feature required a reinit (well, four to be exact because I didn't get it to work at first).

Links to forum threads are now written as Forum:{threadnumber}.

For example, linking this thread from the Wiki can now be done as Forum:5390. Just like that.

One, it's shorter and perhaps a bit easier. Two, when we move the forum to osdever.net, all we have to do to "switch" all the links in the Wiki is editing the "Forum" line in the Wiki page InterWikiMap.

Thanks for your patience with your resident Wiki hacker. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:17 am 

Solar wrote:
For example, linking this thread from the Wiki can now be done as Forum:5390. Just like that.

Great feature! Now we just miss the reverse one, automatic linking from the forum to the FAQ when using a WikiWikiWord for the page :P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:54 am 

uh ??
it looks like some pages (maybe all) are locked. E.g. faq:PciSectionOfPentiumVme ...

And it looks to, that i can unlock them just with my regular "PypeClicker" login (while previously only admins could lock/unlock)...
Am i missing something here ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:57 am 

Hmm... you're right. Well, since we didn't keep pages locked anyway, that doesn't do much harm, but I'll keep this on my TODO list.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:14 am 

there are pages that need to be locked to prevent ugly spamming, most of them being the pages common to all Phpwiki (like TranscludePlugin, PhpWiki) and the HomePage.

At least, it needed to be locked with the former version. I don't know if the new feature protect us enough to release that basic form of protection.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:26 am 

there is also a upload page which needs to be nuked! I never new about that page.... hm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:04 pm 
I just read through this entire thread and thought I'd make a suggestion to re-evaluate MediaWiki. It's not hard to setup MediaWiki(with a plugin) so that it requires user accounts to edit/create/delete pages but the user accounts are just forum members that belong to a wiki group. No seperate user accounts, locked pages, or being open to spam.

Pype.Clicker wrote:
Solar wrote:

Great feature! Now we just miss the reverse one, automatic linking from the forum to the FAQ when using a WikiWikiWord for the page :P

Cool ideas, hope you guys don't mind that I stole them both :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:11 pm 

(Where's the button to opt-out of MediaWiki advertising? :D )

Everybody uses what he's familiar with. Many people used Wikipedia and are now strong supporters of MediaWiki. I once looked for a simple-to-use Wiki (before the Wikipedia hype), and found PhpWiki, which I used ever since. It isn't "hard" to set up either, and it isn't short of features in any way, you just have to sit down and edit the config file (correctly). I hardly have the time for that, let alone evaluating another Wiki and eventually migrating the contents (as MediaWiki uses a different markup)...

I rather solve problems, at least until I find a bucket of free time: Locking / unlocking and uploading are now disallowed, InterWikiMap is locked again. TranscludePlugin is disabled.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:26 am 
Sorry, I haven't keep up on this board and I've only come across two mentions of MediaWiki here in trying to catch up. One recommending it and another in this thread saying it was missing features that it does have(now?). After reading this whole thread and a couple others at once it just sounded like there was a big need for something that provided better access control(i.e. stop spam).

I used to use JSPWiki myself and I'm just really happy with the ease of setting up and using MediaWiki so far....just have to figure out the differences between Categories, Namespaces, and Directories. If you ever do re-evalutate wiki software there seem to be alot of docs and software to convert from PhpWiki syntax to MediaWiki. But I have a friend that swears dokuwiki is the only way to go ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:44 am 

Yes, our PhpWiki was hit hard by spam in the past. However, that was in no small part because we were using a version dating back to 2003...

The new version 1) rejects edits with more than 2 external links, and 2) offers tools to recover from mass spammings with speed. I don't think we'll see as much spam as before, and would prefer to wait until I'm proven false before switching to a different Wiki software unfamiliar to all of us. (I, for one, always get the named links wrong in MediaWiki as they're the other way around there...)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:19 am 

unless someone proves me wrong, i'd rather stick to phpwiki rather than opting for mediawiki. The main advantage i see in phpwiki is the "backlink" feature that strongly helps editing or browsing -- and i don't see that anywhere in MediaWiki (at least not on the version i've seen so far)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:16 pm 
Pype.Clicker wrote:
unless someone proves me wrong, i'd rather stick to phpwiki rather than opting for mediawiki. The main advantage i see in phpwiki is the "backlink" feature that strongly helps editing or browsing -- and i don't see that anywhere in MediaWiki (at least not on the version i've seen so far)

I think the equivalent feature would be the "What links here" hyperlink on the left side in the toolbox of most mediawikis.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:23 am 

Hmmm... looking at the RecentEdits, it seems like the "revert" function tends to go berserk when handled roughly. I'm thinking about disabling it to avoid this new kind of "spam"... ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:49 am 

OK; I figured out what's going on here. When you do an edit, and then revert that edit, the revert is listed below the (undone) edit, i.e. the current version of the page is not the one listed on top of the RecentChanges / RecentEdit list.

That's quite confusing. Yes, I'll disable "Revert" until further notice tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:15 am 
On the contents page of the FAQ, I notice that some things are underlined, and some aren't (e.g., "Watcom C/C++", "LILO", "FAT12 Details" are all underlined) - is there a particular reason for this, or is it a little mistake which needs to be fixed?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next