OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Disk Image Files
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:43 pm 

With recent talk of image files, file systems, partitioning schemes, etc., I thought it would be nice to have a list of image files we could test our code.

I have been looking for image files by going to the 'homes' of projects listed in the "What does your OS look like" thread. I found a few, but many are simply reps of code and very few actual pre-made images.

I thought of posting a request for image-file URL's, but thought this would create a 'vanity' type list, which really isn't a bad thing, but not really what I was looking for.

I went over to the Disk Images Section of the wiki, near the bottom, and three of the four links are now broken.

Therefore, I have added a section to the wiki where we can add a list of images.

If you have wiki access, please add your image file to the list. If you do not have wiki access, to keep from creating a 'vanity' type list within this thread, you may send me a PM with the necessary information and I will add it to the list (at my discretion).

Please keep in mind the intent and purpose of the list. Please keep the files to only image files with few or no other files. i.e.: Do not include source code within the .zip file. If you wish to include the source code, include it on the image file itself.

The purpose of this list is to have a set of images to test our code/utilities, not test the image itself.

Thank you,
Ben

Post subject: Re: Disk Image Files
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:55 pm 

The grub boot images have been removed since they were out-of-date and I no longer use GRUB. By far, the easiest way is to use UEFI booting from an USB disc which is described here: http://www.rdos.net/rdos. Once there is a working RDOS installation, it's easier to create a BIOS boot USB disc from the command line, or to install permanently on a hard disc.

RDOS doesn't run on any emulator that I know of, unless some emulator is fixed now, so testing needs to be done on real hardware.

Post subject: Re: Disk Image Files
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:08 pm 

rdos wrote:
The grub boot images have been removed since they were out-of-date and I no longer use GRUB.

I have removed the link.

Thanks for the update.
Ben