OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Exception: Invalid overflow behavior.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:56 pm 

Hello. It's seem that there is a problem in the documentation in this page:
https://wiki.osdev.org/Exceptions#Overflow
It's say that "or when the result of div/idiv insructions is bigger than 64 bit /32 bit / 16 bit /8bit depending on the instruction operand size" but this is a #DE fault here.
IMO, if it was the case Overflow would be marked as trap/fault.
`into` is the only thing that cause an #OF.
best regard.

Post subject: Re: Exception: Invalid overflow behavior.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:27 pm 

If you see a mistake, you can log in to the wiki and correct it. See these instructions for details.

Post subject: Re: Exception: Invalid overflow behavior.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:52 am 

In defence of the approach used by the OP here, I think it's justified for someone to ask for confirmation when they suspect there is a mistake on a wiki page but aren't at least 90% sure that it isn't instead that their suspicion is mistaken. That said, it's probably better to use the relevant talk page next time, though I'd predict the forums get more exposure.

Indeed, this factual mistake and other questionable statements were added in a series of edits by someone who was editing the wiki from 6 May 2017 to just 28 July 2017 and then simply disappeared. Other pages apart from Exceptions might be also affected, but I don't really have the time to look at everything, made worse by the fact that not everything they wrote is questionable. I'm not an expert, but I've tried to clean the mess on this page up. Please review my changes.

I don't think that experts usually have a need to look at beginner pages, with the consequence of them being often left unmaintained. In fact, if the OP had themselves proceeded to correct this one mistake, we would be unaware of the other questionable statements, unless someone else reviewed the page and reported/corrected the mistakes, which I definitely wouldn't do if not because of this topic (and I'm still not an expert as I said). That is, the OP's approach here has turned out to be in favour of everyone! :-)