OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Difficulty icons
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 3:28 am 

I've been reading the wiki and forum for a while now, and I've recently started to feel that the tutorial difficulty indicators are starting to show their age. To me, they look a bit pixelated, but the blurry corners (which I believe are from anti-aliasing) makes me view this as a bug, rather than an intentional choice. I'm fully aware that this isn't of great consequence, but I've made some possible replacements and I'm curious to see how everyone feels about them.

I've kept the aspect ratio the same between the original and my design. Also, I've scaled the originals up for this post.

Easy
Current:
My version: (did more revisions on this one than I probably should've)

Medium
Current:
My version:

Advanced
Current:
My version:

Master
Current:
My version:

I've also inspect-elemented it onto a few pages, and in my option it looks much more natural; the screenshot is too big to put here, so you'll have to trust me O:)

A: Maybe!

(Apologies for my somewhat verbose writing style)

Post subject: Re: Difficulty icons
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:47 am 

I think the old icons make a great reminder that the tutorials themselves are also very old and need to be updated. :wink:

Are you going to upload these as vector graphics? (Does the wiki even allow that?)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:27 pm 

Octocontrabass wrote:
I think the old icons make a great reminder that the tutorials themselves are also very old and need to be updated. :wink:

Are you going to upload these as vector graphics? (Does the wiki even allow that?)

Apparently, no:

Quote:
Permitted file types: png, gif, jpg, jpeg.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:50 pm 

great job, the new icons look awesome. now, you need to write a new wiki engine, to allow these niceties. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:34 pm 

zaval wrote:
great job, the new icons look awesome. now, you need to write a new wiki engine, to allow these niceties. :mrgreen:

We really just need to upgrade mediawiki, but no one has the necessary access to do that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:07 pm 

klange wrote:
We really just need to upgrade mediawiki, but no one has the necessary access to do that.

Is this a shared server or a VPS of some sort? If it's a VPS or something, maybe it's time to consider moving on from Mediawiki to something more appropriate to the kind of information here.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:43 pm 

BigBuda wrote:
Is this a shared server or a VPS of some sort? If it's a VPS or something, maybe it's time to consider moving on from Mediawiki to something more appropriate to the kind of information here.

It’s either a VPS or possibly even a physical server somewhere - information I am not privy to.

But I’ve never felt there was anything wrong with mediawiki, per se. It’s what most everything uses. It’s just that our installation is horrendously outdated and missing extensions that would make programming-focused articles easier to write.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:55 pm 

klange wrote:
It’s either a VPS or possibly even a physical server somewhere - information I am not privy to.

But I’ve never felt there was anything wrong with Mediawiki, per se. It’s what most everything uses. It’s just that our installation is horrendously outdated and missing extensions that would make programming-focused articles easier to write.

Well, I've recommended it before. I think it would benefit the site tremendously, if it was moved from Mediawiki to Bookstack. I've used it for a few years now and I'm quite happy with it. It's got several integrations and supports SSO, which might uncomplicate maintenance.

I've also been considering replacing a few forums I manage with an open source self-hosted Stackexchange alternative. I don't remember the name right now, but I'll let you guys know later. I think it could make it easy to have the kind of technical discussions we have, and turn some of the results into entries in the Mediawiki or Bookstack database.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:48 pm 

Questions about updating the wiki & forum software aside, I'll throw the updated icons onto the wiki in a few days (so long as no one has any serious concerns?).

A: Maybe!

(Apologies for my somewhat verbose writing style)