OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Revoking permission
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:22 am 

Dear Moderators,

since you have deleted my original post I have no choice but to repeat my query.

I hereby revoke all rights from OSDEV.org to use any materials on the wiki created by me under the nick names Turdus and bzt.
Remove that content A.S.A.P.

Attachments:
File comment: Original post
osdev.png
osdev.png [ 57.53 KiB | Viewed 9636 times ]

Post subject: Re: Revoking permission
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:39 am 

All contributions to the OSDev Wiki made since June 6 of 2011 are licensed under CC0. You cannot revoke the CC0 license. (However, the moderators may still decide to remove your contributions.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:55 am 

Not so. Your link is about revoking the license under which the material is distributed. I'm talking about intellectual property right, which I have never gave to OSDEV.org (legally it can't be done anyway), and which is protected by EU law.

That' my intellectual property, I'm the one and only IP right holder, and I want to stop distibution by OSDEV.org entirely.
https://www.iprhelpdesk.eu/kb/3188-what-ip-infringement
Quote:
IP rights are infringed when a work protected by IP laws is used, copied or otherwise exploited without having the proper permission from a person who owns those rights.

I've just revoked that permission.

Cheers,
bzt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:50 am 

I'm talking about intellectual property right as well. Copyright is a form of intellectual property right, and it's the only one that applies to your submissions. (Unless perhaps you own the trademark or patent for something you've submitted?)

You granted an irrevocable license for OSDev.org to use your intellectual property. You can't revoke it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:30 am 

I believe that assigned copyright can be revoked - after a period of 35 years.

I'd suggest that bzt makes his request again in another 30-odd years time. At that time he would have to prove that he is the person that made those posts.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:23 am 

So you are saying that you insist on keeping my contributions because I'm not a liar but trustworthy afterall?
Thanks for the confirmation!

I still want to see Brendan's OS. Until he can proove it with some code that he is really competent and worthy of moderation, I have nothing to say.

Byez
bzt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:35 am 

bzt8976 wrote:
I still want to see Brendan's OS. Until he can proove it with some code that he is really competent and worthy of moderation, I have nothing to say.

Your proposal is acceptable.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:43 am 

bzt8976 wrote:
So you are saying that you insist on keeping my contributions because I'm not a liar but trustworthy afterall?

No. The contents of the wiki are not guaranteed to be fit for any purpose, not even a purpose like endorsement of your character.

I have no comment about your trustworthiness or lack thereof.

bzt8976 wrote:

Okay.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:58 pm 

Hi,

bzt8976 wrote:
Thanks for the confirmation!

a) As other have explained, the copyright on your work is CC0 and is non-revocable (until it expires and becomes public domain)

b) Other people have modified and edited those pages. They are not your work alone, but a collaboration containing other people's work too.

c) Content in the wiki is either removed or edited based on whether or not it's helpful to people trying to learn. Some of your pages (e.g. the message passing tutorial) probably should be rewritten/replaced for that reason; but the same can be said for a lot of pages on the wiki, and nobody is being paid to improve the wiki so there's no way to guarantee when it might happen or if it might happen.

bzt8976 wrote:

My earlier operating systems were all open source and/or "viewable source"; but because I write everything in pure assembly my source code was never very useful for most beginners (e.g. better for beginners to use something that's actually designed for educational purposes, like maybe Minix); and over time my project became much more complex and I started researching ideas in an attempt to find ways to make an OS that's better (in some way) than Windows/Linux, and started wanting to make sure other people (Windows/Linux) don't take these ideas, and (given the choice between "trade secret" and patents) I switched to closed source.

At the start of this year (when Spectre and Meltdown were revealed) I cancelled my OS project and haven't written any code since. Instead I've been doing other things (not OS related) while waiting for more "Spectre-like" vulnerabilities to be found and trying to find ways to mitigate all of these vulnerabilities without paying the performance costs that mitigations cause in existing operating systems. I believe I've come up with ways to do this that will make my OS more secure than anything that has ever existed (with "only slightly higher" performance costs and not less performance costs) and will probably start writing code in the next few months. However this code will also be closed source because I have nothing to gain from making it public (other than satisfying whiny trolls that I have no reason and no desire to prove anything to).

I guess this means that (if I can trust your words) I will be able to look forward to you having nothing to say.

Cheers,

Brendan

For all things; perfection is, and will always remain, impossible to achieve in practice. However; by striving for perfection we create things that are as perfect as practically possible. Let the pursuit of perfection be our guide.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:21 am 

by the way, not related to this bickering, I always was wondering why many people here that seem to be skilled enough don't show anything. I mean screenshots/videos? Like klange or sortie or BenLunt do. I for example don't have anything to show yet, :lol: except some silly output into UART. Looking at achievements of others is inspiring.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:04 am 

The answer is going to differ for different people, but Brendan has already given one reason - wanting to keep their source private, whether for future commercial use or some other reason.

While I am not actually all that knowledgeable myself (I'm just good at looking things up), I imagine that my own problems - ADD, depression, Babbage Syndrome (that is, endlessly restarting as new ideas come up, sort of like CADT but in a single individual), anxiety, self-doubt, self-undermining perfectionism, fear of failure, etc - probably also affect others who are more able than I am.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:12 am 

The whole point of asking people to agree to those terms and conditions is to avoid scandals like this down the road. People contribute knowingly (since they have to agree to the terms) and the wiki has some form of protection.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:15 am 

@Brendan: Really? You have really nothing?

- no link to your repository? (this one could be understandable, but)
- no link to your allegedly OpenSource early OS projects either?
- no link to a bootable binary image?
- no videos at all?
- not even a single screenshot, well ever?

Excuse me, but what do you have then (aside from your big mouth)? Please proove me wrong, provide at least a link to a
bootable image we could try out in a vm! It's okay if it's not recent, but one of your early OSes, just show us
SOMETHING.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:28 am 

Hi,

bzt4567 wrote:
@Brendan: Really? You have really nothing?

- no link to your repository? (this one could be understandable, but)
- no link to your allegedly OpenSource early OS projects either?
- no link to a bootable binary image?
- no videos at all?
- not even a single screenshot, well ever?

Excuse me, but what do you have then (aside from your big mouth)? Please proove me wrong, provide at least a link to a
bootable image we could try out in a vm! It's okay if it's not recent, but one of your early OSes, just show us
SOMETHING.

Being worthy of moderation has nothing to do with being able to demonstrate an ability to write an OS; it's primarily about behaving in a professional manner (even when being attacked by malicious trolls) and being willing to do this while expecting nothing in return.

Old version/s of my source code is still online for people that know how to find it. Over the years I have posted screenshots on the forums (some here and some elsewhere) that are still available. I have never used an online repository or created a video for anything.

There are people who have seen more recent screenshots and/or more recent bootable images; and in one case I even gave someone a complete copy of my (deliberately closed source) project. These were all people I respect, not people suffering from the delusion that I owe them some kind of "proof" that they are in no position to expect.

Now let's talk about "proof that people are in a position to expect". Specifically, I want you to think about how you can prove that you are worthy of being allowed back on these forums. Repeatedly proving that you don't deserve to be here is not an effective strategy despite your obvious obsession.

Cheers,

Brendan

For all things; perfection is, and will always remain, impossible to achieve in practice. However; by striving for perfection we create things that are as perfect as practically possible. Let the pursuit of perfection be our guide.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:28 am 

BZT, let me repeat to you what I told AndrewThompson555 on more than one occasion: this isn't a battle you need to fight. Is this forum really so crucial to your self-worth that you are willing to make a fool of yourself repeatedly over it? If you can't bring yourself to walk away from a forum, that's evidence that you need to walk away, because you are taking it too seriously for your own good.

I learned that the hard way more than once, most recently about eight months ago when I finally got out of the Daily WTF fora. Honestly, I probably need to do the same here, too (for personal reasons unrelated to the forum itself). It's a difficult thing to do, because ego commitment is hard to let go of, but you have to be able realize when you are in too deep and escape before it causes you more harm.