OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: I want to add some info on CLI (command line interface)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:21 am 

I want to add some info on: http://wiki.osdev.org/Command_Line

I'm plan to add
  • FORTH implementation based on byte-code interpreter,
  • Writing (byte-code) compiler using flex/bison, and
  • Using Flex/Bison for CLI implementation and maybe
  • How to write simple interprerter language for your OS (*)

Should I do some coordination with somebody, or can just add my modifications into wiki pages directly ?
And what manual shuld I follow about pages naming conventions ?

Maybe I should first create topic in forum with draft text to discussion ?

(*) I have some problems with prototype with GC-enabled memory manager and user functions using AST interpretation, so it is not ready for publication yet

Post subject: Re: I want to add some info on CLI (command line interface)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:43 am 

I removed your FORTH page from the wiki and rolled back your edit on Command_Line. Let me explain:

The FORTH page did not add any valuable information to the wiki that is in some way relevant to osdev. Apart from that, the writing style was bad, the MoS was obviously not followed and understanding the article required thorough reading (not because it had extreme technical detail, obviously). Next, judging by the article and the README on your GitHub repo the article was, to me, a clear case of self-promotion:
GitHub repo wrote:
This is sample system code used on this pages @ OsDev wiki:

Because of this reason as well as lacking notability I removed that page.

The edits to the Command_Line page were basically linking to the FORTH page and writing about flex/bison and some "powerful way", so a lot of the points above apply to this as well.

In general, I would also point you to the preview button. This way you don't flood the history with edits that belong together.

Post subject: Re: I want to add some info on CLI (command line interface)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:52 am 

Quote:
Apart from that, the writing style was bad, the MoS was obviously not followed and understanding the article required thorough reading

Move it to sandbox, restyle, edit, remove personal-related text,... No, just drop it!

Quote:
the article was, to me, a clear case of self-promotion

Promotion-what ? This link was just reference to full sample code, what's the problem ?

Ok, forget about command line. I'll find more open place to publish it, and if somebody will be interested in it, google will help him to find.

no92 wrote:
The FORTH page did not add any valuable information to the wiki that is in some way relevant to osdev.

My plan was to show some variants to build OS based on bytecode interpreter (JavaOS as example, and much more interesting Inferno OS), and language-based OS system (Oberon, ROM BASICs,..). Forth is known as OS itself by design - there is some implementations works on bare metal (ForthOS,OpenFirmware, some ROMable variants and original Moore's FORTH'70). And another theme - using flex/bison generated code implements CLI in few easy steps.

If somebody interested in it, please tell me, I'll found some place to discuss (google group or some other forum, does not matter)

And again: Inferno OS -- what about OSes able to run on top of any software/hardware platform ?