OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Project Pages and new Infobox template
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:47 am 

Always wanted your own Wikipedia article and disappointed by their requirements for notability? Well, this is a reminder that you might not be good enough for Wikipedia, but anything is good enough for our wiki! You can make your own project page as a sub-page of your User: page, and to help you get started I've made a new infobox for projects. You can see it in action here.

If anyone has suggestions for things to add to the Infobox, please let me know! Also, remember to link to your project page from the recently-restyled projects list.

Post subject: Re: Project Pages and new Infobox template
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:33 am 

Neat! Perhaps I should my OS to the project page.

Although, previously the wiki has had emphasis on technical knowledge and howtos - has this been approved by the appropriate authorities? I afraid this might open the floodgates of lots of self-promotion on the wiki.

(Hey - do you mind making fewer edits on the wiki when you make changes? I like to review what gets modified on the wiki and this changeset was kinda heavy. If you plan on major changes, just create a user page and edit away there and delete it when done, that'll also delete the noisy history.)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:34 am 

sortie wrote:
Neat! Perhaps I should my OS to the project page.

Although, previously the wiki has had emphasis on technical knowledge and howtos - has this been approved by the appropriate authorities? I afraid this might open the floodgates of lots of self-promotion on the wiki.

(Hey - do you mind making fewer edits on the wiki when you make changes? I like to review what gets modified on the wiki and this changeset was kinda heavy. If you plan on major changes, just create a user page and edit away there and delete it when done, that'll also delete the noisy history.)

Personal User: pages have always been acceptable and this is a new template, I didn't actually change anything (may have made and reverted some chabges to Infobox Tool, sorry for the log spam!)

Making new templates is hard when the thing I'm trying to fix has to be tested on another page.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:18 pm 

I like the looks of the infobox; it could spruce up the OS Project List a bit. I do have a point of concern though: it seems to be more oriented towards a visual system, and those without any real screenshots to show (who could still have quite an advanced system - say, a headless router) will be left having to take a screenshot of boring terminals or just placing a programmer-art logo there.

That is to say, I'm hoping that the effect of the infobox is positive and doesn't result in even more scrolling past the stacks of projects that are otherwise completely uninteresting from their description/name.

Now... I need to find me a screenshot!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:34 am 

glxgears or gcc? :P

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:39 am 

Exactly my problem if I wanted to add a screenshot. The shell or a text editor? Boring, text mode and everyone has this. Some SDL program, like Supertux or dosbox? It would look the same if I ran it on Linux. The network setup menu? Usually you see it only during the first start.

Maybe the best and most individual would be a panic screen, but that might not leave the best impression either... ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:45 am 

pcmattman wrote:
I like the looks of the infobox; it could spruce up the OS Project List a bit. I do have a point of concern though: it seems to be more oriented towards a visual system, and those without any real screenshots to show (who could still have quite an advanced system - say, a headless router) will be left having to take a screenshot of boring terminals or just placing a programmer-art logo there.

That is to say, I'm hoping that the effect of the infobox is positive and doesn't result in even more scrolling past the stacks of projects that are otherwise completely uninteresting from their description/name.

Now... I need to find me a screenshot!

The image field, along with all the other fields, is optional; some fields are not relevant for all projects, such as github links, and more fields may be added in the future which will be more specific to specific focuses and features. Actually, half of my editing was getting the optional image field to work right: there's some odd parsing issue when you try to use an = in a {{if}} template... or any other template for that matter; the solution was to make a template called = that contained just a = and then do {{{=}}} in the {{if}}.