OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Kill the Wiki
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:45 am 

Quote:
I think that if you do not have programming experience you can't try out OSDev. If you don't know how to develop, how could you develop an OS?

Yes. It's what I wanted to say.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jeko - Jeko Operating System

Post subject: Re: Kill the Wiki
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:12 pm 

While I can imagine using wiki as forum (although I don't think it would be UF) I can hardly imagine reverse.

1. I needed some knowledge about memory management. When I entered wiki I had very much on several pages. On forum I'd had what on other sites - brunch of several unrelated articles, from which one cannot understend anything (well - may be if (s)he knows the subject - but in such case (s)he wouldn't need to read them).
2. Wiki can be easily modified. Even in middle when the autors has leave participation on site long time ago. For example [wiki]Volatile (keyword)[/wiki] states the use of it in threads. What hasn't been written (I'll do it as soon as I'll have rw rights) is that the keyword do not guarantee atomicity of operations so eighter speciall caution has to be used (memory barriers etc.) or locks. In forum it would require eighter admin to do it or it could land several pages after.
3. Wiki is less verbose. On forum (or on discussion pages) there could be arguments (which method is faster, more elegant etc.). On wiki should land sumarise.
4. Wiki is interconnected. In theory topics can list to themselves. But they rarly do.

PS. I'm writing it a new user of site, newbie in OS Dev and long time user of various wikis, forums, mailing lists etc.