OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Audit Wiki articles containing religious views?
Yes, That's fair and neutral.. 38%  38%  [ 10 ]
No, That's not neural as you may be advocating Atheism.. 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Death to the non-believers! *Burn Brynet-Inc! - Burn* 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
No opinion at all.. 35%  35%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 26
 Post subject: A recent incident on the OSDev Wiki..
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:18 pm 

Hi friends, (I'll assume I have at least one until I post this 8))

While looking through Wiki articles I noticed several religious "twists"..

I'm not trying to be disrespectful or anything, but shouldn't the Wiki be a neutral place containing articles based on members first hand experience?

Surely I'll receive negativity for this, but some might not understand religious terminology.. so why even include it?

Any other opinions on this? Or should members freely express their personal religious views on the Wiki?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:41 pm 

Could you give some example articles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:58 pm 

I voted No Opinion, but that's only because none of the options really fitted. I've already made my views clear on the wiki, but I'll write them down here as well.

I don't think we should base whether to use religious references in the wiki on any great big moral decision, merely whether the word/phrase/paragraph fits what we are trying to say. Sometimes the best phrasing is that which uses religious words, sometimes not.

frank: http://www.osdev.org/wiki/DMA and http://www.osdev.org/wiki/Porting_Newlib. You'll have to look at the histories for those pages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:04 pm 

Just becasue the first book of many Religious Book's is called Genesis, does not make it religious bias. The word Genesis means, the origin of something, and was quite appropriate for that section. Until something more religiously specific comes up, i think it would be a little bit over kill.

EDIT: Okay, i saw the second edit, that was definetly specific, but it's not advertising, so i still think an Audit of anything slightly Religious is overkill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:45 pm 

What is there to gain by removing any and all references to religion? It just seems to be nothing more than a vendetta. Personally, I find the whole 'US court house ten commandment removal' to be a bunch of bs, and it seems that this whole scenario is fueled by the same motivation. (ie. hatred of religion.) Therefore, by becoming 'neutral', you are becoming the complete opposite.

Moreover, if not enough, I agree with Tyler on the meaning of 'Genesis', voiding any current reason for such an audit.

C8H10N4O2 | #446691 | Trust the nodes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:35 pm 

This is a forum dedicated to hightech geeks who spend most of their life in front of a computer... Religion? I have to laugh.

(no offence meant and maybe i overdid it, but you get my point)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:39 pm 

I respect all of your opinions... *cough* I'm buying you a beer Zacariaz! 8) *cough*

But here is a simple scenario..

There are many religions on earth, factual or not.. why risk offending one group? let's keep the Wiki neutral..

You wouldn't see it in technical specifications or documentation, Why should the Wiki be any different?

It's only an idea... remain neutral, offends nobody.. I doubt anyone is actually expecting or demanding religion on the Wiki.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:45 pm 

No one disagrees the the Wiki should be Religiously Neutral Brynet, it's simply your Tyranical methods and opinions. I have rudely (and somewhat regrettable) made it clear before that i hate religion and even i don't consider there to be a problem. Perhaps if the wiki was wrtten somewhat like...

"And then God brought to us bootloaders, and we should all be thankful and convert to christianity, for in the BIOS, the almighty has shown us the many truths"

Then perhaps you would have a point, but use of the word Genesis, and another whimsical Statement with no religious context, are not exactly the beginings of a religious infestation. Remove those two references and any others if you wish, but don't be too childish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:43 pm 

I also voted "No Opinion" for the lack of better choices.

@Brynet: You're overreacting.
@Alboin: Calm down.
@Tyler: I agree with you 100%.

IMO this entire discussion is overblown and a complete waste of time, and this thread should be locked.

3. My brain got stuck in an infinite loop while trying to design the memory manager
Don't let this happen to you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:32 am 

Colonel Kernel wrote:
@Brynet: You're overreacting.

How exactly am I overreacting?

I controlled myself quite well considering, Which was certainly "optional"...

I thought it was a "perfect" time to discuss "guidelines" for Wiki articles..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:01 am 

Instead of the author taking the religious views of the readers into account. The readers should think about the religious views of the author into account.

There are i think 3 possible scenarios:

1) If the author is a non believer and you are then you cannot expect the author to know that he/she is offending you. If you don't like it delete your account and go somewhere else.
2) If on the other hand if you and the author both share the same belief and you find the text offending send a PM and explain why, you might even have a use full conversation about religion.
3) If you and the author are of opposing religions than respect the authors religion and keep quiet about it, simply because you cannot grasp the full concept. If you still don't like it delete your account and go somewhere else.

I didn't vote because i find the discussion about religion on a global (web) scale kind a dumb as you will all ways offend somebody. Keep in mind that all wars are based on religion and profit. A simple rule of thumb i live by: respect the religion somebody practises and respect that same person. Also athiests fall into this rule as they believe in the 'here and now'. Could it be that a solution would be a simple as respect?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:25 am 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
Brynet-Inc wrote:
I thought it was a "perfect" time to discuss "guidelines" for Wiki articles..
We have a manual of style and a corresponding thread for that, but even then I'd state that religious influences in style is allowed if done with moderation.

For the rest I agree with the majority here - complaining about "genesis" since it is the title of a book in the bible is just sad.

btw, genesis is also the name of a game console from Sega :wink:

Quote:
IMO this entire discussion is overblown and a complete waste of time, and this thread should be locked.
I second that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:46 am 

Alright, I'm all for keeping 'Genesis' in appreciation of Sega's incarnation!! \:D/ (Just kidding..)

I'll revert my changes to the DMA page If requested... but I think the change I made on 'Porting Newlib' is adequate?

Apologies, but it's like reading technical documents interlaced with subliminal religious messages or something! :lol:

(Lock this thread if desired.. I never even voted in the poll - but I'm glad at least 1 person agreed with me.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:21 am 

i honestly dont see why this threat should be locked, if people want to discuss the subject, let them. I t doesnt matter that i, and probably others, think that it is a complete waste of time. As long as things dont get out of and i see not reason for doing so...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:03 am 

Brynet-inc: Just to reiterate what others said - I think you were really overreacting.

In my own tutorial set, I have named one of the chapters "Genesis" - not because I'm a christian and want to voice my views to the world (although I am christian), but because it's a nice title and sounds snazzy, and means "the beginning" or something very similar - it's a good word for the job.

I think that if, in hindsight, you don't have an issue with pcmattman's title name, you should bloody well change it back, because that's the way he wanted it. If he wanted to write "preperation" he would have. Unless you have a (real, substantiated) issue with something, there's no need to change it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next