OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:54 am 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
Masterkiller wrote:
What about if wiki is registration is closed and all the articles are posted in the forum, then if article is good enough it can be written in the wiki, even edited by registered user. This is half solution, because you have to just take care for the forum spam. About Spam prevention - it is easy, just make a photos of some products like chips, beer and so on and ask a simple question "What is this?". Computers don't eat :wink:

That smells of going from a spam-free place to a non-spam-free place. Bad idea.

Quote:
The best way to stop the spammers is to honour them. Make a site where each different spam is presented, analysed, just to understand how INTELLIGENT the spammers are. And you will sure make them stop sending all these spams. Why? Because they will realize that spamming is HARD, because only very intelligent people like them can. And intelligent people like spammers dont want to do hard things because they want to get rich spamming around. Yes, the fact that their intelligence is not really put into d.o U uant V.GRA messages, than into merchandising botnets is just a detail. Just like how we need to reconfigure the PIC or the timer for our OSes is a detail. But people in general dont see that, they see genius. Let them see genius and lets make the Hall of Fame of Spamming! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

IMHO there should be a spam office worldwide that can fine owners of spamming computers.

Quote:
In my site, I added another input field that requires users to answer a simple math question when registering. This has, so far, completely removed all spam bots.

Perhaps something like this can help with the spam?

The point is, there is no spam on the wiki at all. Right now you have to register here to use the wiki, instead of registering on the wiki itself. Since that's proven to be effective, don't change the winning team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:17 am 

well no one has changed my wiki username so that i can edit the wiki yet :(

so i guess its not 100% effective, maybe the same filter options should be used for forum usernames as they are for wiki, to eliminate this in future.

Post subject: Fixing forum usernames to work with the wiki
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:00 am 
Site Admin

lukem95 wrote:
well no one has changed my wiki username so that i can edit the wiki yet :(

so i guess its not 100% effective, maybe the same filter options should be used for forum user names as they are for wiki, to eliminate this in future.

With phpBB3 this is now possible. I think I have the rules for new forum user names to be the same as the requirements for wiki user names. If someone finds this is not the case I can adjust things further. I've also allowed user name changes in the forum so people change fix their own accounts if they have this problem. Just go to the User Control Panel and you should be able to change your username.