OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:57 am 

pcmattman wrote:
Code:
if( nIndex > 2 && nIndex << 8 )
{
    // good index
    printf( "Safe index to use...\n" );
}

Are you sure you need a compare and a shift? ;)

Post subject: style images
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:40 am 

Quote:
I have changed Style 2 to Style 1 via the template (including removing the header). If I create any more bearable templates for code I will make a post here before moving it into the main namespace.

While we're on the subject of style could I get some critiques on these SVGs I quickly made for the wiki? (Rendered as PNGs)

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q264 ... orn/osdev/

I like the style of the graphics.

Post subject: Re: Wiki manual of style
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:00 am 

I've just been looking on the Manual Of Style, and it doesn't say anything anywhere about which version of English we are using on the Wiki. Is it British or American English?

I ask because I just went to edit the Optimizing page, and found myself using s instead of z. Now, I personally think s is right... but a lot of people like z.

I vote for British English, if there isn't a standard already.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:11 am 

British vs. American English debates are a lot like debates about Windows vs. Linux or C vs. C++. I would suggest doing it the way that Wikipedia does (at least, I think this is how Wikipedia does it), if a page is started in American English, it should stay in American English. If it is started in British English, it should stay in British English.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:59 pm 

I vote British English because it's the dialect we use here in Canada :P

It keeps stunning me how friendly we - as a community - are towards people who start programming "their first OS" who don't even have a solid understanding of pointers, their compiler, or how a OS is structured.

I wish I could add more tex

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:03 pm 

I say we just combine the two and use Ameritish English. Or Britican English, or whatever.

We'll use 'z' instead of 's' (and pronounce it 'zee' instead of 'zed'), but also sprinkle all ours words with an extra dash of 'u'. Colour instead of color, and such.

And if it ever comes to using slang, this American would much prefer the use of British slang, if only because British comedy is so much better. :lol:

EDIT: Oh, and let's bring back the old use of the letter 'x'. It's rather unused these days, aside from it's use in the words x-ray and x-men, heh. So lets use 'x' instead of the 'ct' combination. That means we would say 'connexion' instead of 'connection', like back in the good ol' days.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:30 am 

1) The "Article Naming Conventions" from the Manual of Style is currently a mess imho. Look at Special:Allpages, some articles capitalize all words, some only the first, others seems to follow some other arbitrary standard, e.g. WP:ALBUMCAPS.

The same is true for sections (or headers, whatever you want to call them), some articles capitalize everything, some only the first word, and so on. The MoS seems to recommend the same naming conventions for sections as titles (see "Sections with additional info"), i.e. all words capitalized; but the last section of the MoS is called "Discussing the Manual of Style" and another one "Discussing articles", i.e. some words aren't capitalized.

Using the capitalization convention from Wikipedia would be awesome, but it isn't backwards compatible with the current "standard" -- so that would probably require to much work (currently ~350 articles)?

Suggestions?

2) Why are C++ articles called PlusPlus, e.g. C PlusPlus? Afaik MediaWiki doesn't have any problems with "+"s in titles.

3) I'm thinking about adding some info about the syntax highlighter and using <code> for relevant stuff to the MoS. Is that okay?

Btw, the wiki plugin(?) for phpBB is broken, e.g. [wiki]Special:Allpages[/wiki] (or any other namespace except the default) doesn't work.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:22 pm 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
1) The naming convention is for article titles, not section headers. Currently, redirects with different capitalisation are around, but actual articles should follow the rule. The rule itself comes from the fact that a lot of the content was imported from PhpWiki, whose feature was to automatically wikilink CamelCased words (and make it hard to do otherwise). The manual technically isn't in conflict with itself.

2) Wikipedia uses a custom version of mediawiki. Symbols in names are not allowed by the version we have. :(

3) It works as expected here - what is the exact problem?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:18 pm 

Combuster wrote:
2) Wikipedia uses a custom version of mediawiki. Symbols in names are not allowed by the version we have. :(

Well, actually, I earlier just moved all the "C PlusPlus" named pages on wiki to their renamed C++ counterparts. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:27 pm 

Combuster wrote:
1) The naming convention is for article titles, not section headers.

What about section headers then? I can't find any other naming convention recommendations for them.

Combuster wrote:
[...], but actual articles should follow the rule.

Some articles doesn't capitalize everything, e.g. Processes and Threads, Detecting Colour and Monochrome Monitors, [wiki]What order should I make things in?[/wiki] (← another plugin bug?) and Memory management. But, WP:ALBUMSCAPS (e.g. "Processes and Threads") looks better then everything-in-the-title-should-be-capitalized (e.g. "Processes And Threads") imho.

Combuster wrote:
3) It works as expected here - what is the exact problem?

Mainly that <code> isn't used in the articles, at all. :(

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:02 am 

I have to really question the use of British English for programming topics. I was reading the CLI page, and the usage is inconsistent (although mostly British).

I can just imagine a page referencing Open GL
Code:
// set the colour
glColor(r, g, b);

Will there be a revolution if I go through all the pages and delete extraneous u's? I could really care less about swapping z and s, but extra u's bug me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:44 am 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
My my, publicly asking permission to troll.

If you read the rest of the topic, "british english" exists to prevent exactly this discussion. It is not open for discussion for peacekeeping reasons.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:22 am 

Sorry, I'm not trying to troll. It honestly does bug me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:33 pm 

I have a grease monkey script for anyone who is bugged by this:
Code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name           UnBrit
// @namespace      http://nedbrek.com/unbrit.js
// @description    Remove annoying British stuff
// @include        http://wiki.osdev.org/*
// ==/UserScript==

var content = document.getElementById("content");
content.innerHTML = content.innerHTML.replace(/colour/g, "color");
content.innerHTML = content.innerHTML.replace(/Colour/g, "Color");

This is so great, I might change the include to *... This is my first grease monkey script, in fact, I just installed GM today...

Edit: Make sure to have an exclude on: http://wiki.osdev.org/*&action=edit
Edit2: Also need http://wiki.osdev.org/*&action=submit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:45 pm 

nedbrek wrote:
I have to really question the use of British English for programming topics. I was reading the CLI page, and the usage is inconsistent (although mostly British).

Why should the Wiki be adapted for Americans? that makes very little sense.. it's not our fault you can't spell COLOUR properly.

P.S: I broke your script.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next