OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Opinions of this layout for the new front page?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:34 am 

chase wrote:
Almost none of the links work because I haven't actually started moving content, I want to plan it out and get the wiki pretty well considering the amount of information that needs to be sorted.

http://www.osdev.org/wiki/index.php/User:Chase/temp

Too high level? Not high enough? Too much stuff of a front page? The layout should be.... It's just right?

Looks good, Nice job 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:25 pm 

[Wow, I haven't posted in awhile. Ahem.. anyway.]

I like it. A lot.

That is, as long as all the x86 stuff gets separated from the non-x86 stuff.
What do I mean by this? Quite simply that we will start seeing a migration from x86 to x86-64, and while there aren't many differences besides the whole '64-bit' thing and the new ways to go about setting things up (Long Mode and ISRs, among probably many), I think there should be a definite separation of CPU related stuff and Hardware related stuff. Why? Hardware != CPU, even if a CPU changes it doesn't mean that the Hardware changes.

What's my suggestion to solve this? Create an x86-Specific Section, and you can then make a link on the homepage to other CPU-Specific Sections. Of course, changing from 32-bit to 64-bit affects more things than just the CPU's functioning, but hey. Heck, I guess x86 could be considered a subset of x86-64, so really all the x86-64 could sorta go in the same section anyway.
Whatever... But as you can tell, I like Brendan's Idea.

However, I love that front page. It seems like I could find just about anything there. So ignore this post.

[Okay, I'm rambling a bit. Feel free to ignore most of this post (that is, ignore it twice). I suppose if you read this it is too late, though. Gotcha. :P]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:56 pm 

Hey all,
Chase's demo page looks okay. I was thinking that we could change the headings into links to general info pages. Then on those pages we could list out the members like Chase has done. On the main page we could put in the what and why of OSD, and links to this forum, the resources, and the categories.

Also keeping the tutorial idea is good. If I just showed up at the main page with no idea what it was all about and was intrigued enough to get involved, I'd want to know where to start. This info could be on the main page or through some tutorial link. It might tell people a simple way to get started and then bring up crutial decisions that have to be made as it goes along. That way, if someone finished part of their OS and didn't know what to do next, they could go to the tutorial as a guide. It would probably have many links to the OS Theory section.

There are some ideas for you guys to ponder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:56 pm 
Site Admin

I've moved the small amount of existing content underneath the new menu and move it to the main page. I've also made a page so we can keep track of the conversion process and some instructions, see the [wiki]Main_Page[/wiki] for more details.

Mr.Confuzed wrote:
I was thinking that we could change the headings into links to general info pages. Then on those pages we could list out the members like Chase has done. On the main page we could put in the what and why of OSD, and links to this forum, the resources, and the categories.

One of the reasons I like mediawiki is the categories functionality it has. Underneath the hardware menu is a link for System Initialization, the System Initialization page is actually a category page with a high level overview of how things work and there is a MBR page that is in the System Initialization category which itself is a sub-category of x86.

You don't have to maintain the category pages at all, just put category tags on the bottom of the pages you want to group together into a category.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:20 am 

It may make sense to have Category:System Initialization be in category:Hardware, so it's not a flat system of categories like megatokyo had...

Though I'm new here, so what do I know.

Also, I've taken the liberty of adding a section to the "pages to be converted" page for pages that are freshly converted, and should probably be checked. If the section is gone later, I'll understand...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:14 pm 

I myself have made some edits of the Wiki 8)

Guess it can be a useful thing to have.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:37 pm 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
Just wondering, how can I interwiki-link to a topic, as [[Forum:xxx]] will reference to the given forum, not a topic/thread. The AMD64 page has such a link which doesn't work (apart from the fact that the number has changed since the move)

In the meantime, it is already starting to look like something useful :)

p.s. I've been running around some discussion pages posting about the actual contents of some pages... If you think I should post these things here let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

Combuster wrote:
Just wondering, how can I interwiki-link to a topic, as [[Forum:xxx]] will reference to the given forum, not a topic/thread. The AMD64 page has such a link which doesn't work (apart from the fact that the number has changed since the move).
From the forum side you can make links to pages in the OSDevWiki by just doing this(see the Wiki button when posting): [wiki]Projects[/wiki]. On the Wiki side to link to OSDev forums just add text like this [[forum:8]] or [[topic:677]] or [[post:83433]]. The numbers you need are talked about in http://www.osdev.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=83433#83433

Combuster wrote:
In the meantime, it is already starting to look like something useful :)
Yep, thanks everyone who is helping out.

Combuster wrote:
p.s. I've been running around some discussion pages posting about the actual contents of some pages... If you think I should post these things here let me know.
Nah, that's fine, page specific discussion should go on the talk back pages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:53 am 

FWIW, don't wait for my input. Yes, I was the one buggering df to make the FAQ (which was, can you still remember, a collection of static HTML pages in the beginning?) into a Wiki, so people could make additions and corrections directly instead of df having to do everything. Yes, I also was the one suggesting PhpWiki, since I had some previous experience in it. I added one page or the other to the FAQ myself, and ended up with access to df's server so I could update / administrate the Wiki software in the end.

But ATM I'm a bit out of OS dev'ing time / ambition, so do whatever works for you.

Just for the books, I'm for a single wiki, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:14 pm 
Site Admin

bcat wrote:
Also, maybe you should keep a frozen copy of the old wiki around. That way we could save the old page history and author info, which would get lost in a manual copy-and-paste transfer.

I think that to make sure that people get the most up to date information the old wiki should be turned off. There doesn't have to be a one-to-one page mapping either. There is something to be said for not looking back, over time the old versions should become less relevent. I'm not going to go deleting it or anything once the conversion is done. Before the conversion I went though the recent edits to the old wiki and rolled back any edits that were really bad so we are converting the best and most up to date pages.

With a wiki authorship shouldn't be that important. I appreciate the work the individuals do but over time the community becomes the author. As long as the content improves I don't care if someone edits one of my pages or rewrites the whole thing.