Debian GCC Cross-Compiler source

All about the OSDev Wiki. Discussions about the organization and general structure of articles and how to use the wiki. Request changes here if you don't know how to use the wiki.
tyleros

Debian GCC Cross-Compiler source

Post by tyleros »

http://wiki.osdev.org/GCC_Cross-Compile ... bian_Linux

The page here gives you a source to add to sources.list, however the source is no longer valid. Does anyone know a working source?
iansjack

Re: Debian GCC Cross-Compiler source

Post by iansjack »

Don't get hung up relying on package managers. Just follow the generic instructions here: http://wiki.osdev.org/GCC_Cross-Compiler
tyleros

Post by tyleros »

I've attempted to install gcc, however I am now getting an error:

Code: Select all

configure: error: C++ compiler missing or inoperational

Do I need a c++ compiler to build gcc? I'm trying to build v 4.8, what compiler should I use?
iansjack

Post by iansjack »

Just install the GCC C++ compiler. I'm surprised it's not already installed. (Note this is a native compiler for your Debian system, which should be easily obtained using the package manager, not the cross-compiler that you are trying to produce. I didn't know that you needed C++ to compile GCC but I guess every system that I use has both the C and C++ components of GCC installed.
tyleros

Post by tyleros »

iansjack wrote:Just install the GCC C++ compiler. I'm surprised it's not already installed. (Note this is a native compiler for your Debian system, which should be easily obtained using the package manager, not the cross-compiler that you are trying to produce. I didn't know that you needed C++ to compile GCC but I guess every system that I use has both the C and C++ components of GCC installed.

I think it's working now, apparently build-essentials wasn't installed, attempting build now...
sortie
Freenode IRC: sortie

Post by sortie »

Distributions such as Debian only ship with GCC by default, as it is needed to build third party kernel modules when upgrading some packages. G++ isn't needed in that respect, so it's not uncommon to have a system without it. You need G++ in order to bootstrap GCC on these systems, as it is written in C++ these days.
pcmattman
Freenode IRC: miselin

Post by pcmattman »

Hilariously, that wiki page you're apparently "reading" says at the very beginning...
For some reason the repositories are currently broken. I'm trying to figure out why. JackScott 05:42, 20 July 2010 (UTC)

The repo has been broken for quite some time.