OSDev Wiki Relicensing statements

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.

Moderators: JAAman, klange, Octocontrabass, sortie, kmcguire, chase, thepowersgang, Owen, Combuster, AJ, 01000101, carbonBased, Candy, pcmattman

Combuster
Freenode IRC: [com]buster
Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance

OSDev Wiki Relicensing statements

Post by Combuster »

To all people that have made contributions to the wiki, we need an official statement to make sure that the actual content can be provided under a free license (technically, in the current situation none of the text may be reused and all barebones users are technically in copyright violation)

For that reason, we'd like an official statement that you release your contributions to the OSDev Wiki (and the MegaTokyo FAQ where appropriate), under the terms of the CC0 license. If you decide against this, please post as well, so we can know that we have to filter out and replace your contributions.

EDIT: modified wording to avoid potential confusion mentioned by Solar

To lead the way, I hereby declare that I have taken notice of the CC0 license and its intended effects, and hereby declare that all my contributions to the OSDev.org Wiki and its predecessor the MegaTokyo FAQ are licensed under the effect of the CC0.
Last edited by Combuster on Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Certainly avoid yourself. He is a newbie and might not realize it. You'll hate his code deeply a few years down the road." - Sortie
[ My OS ] [ VDisk/SFS ]
Solar

Re: OSDev Wiki Relicensing statements

Post by Solar »

I have taken notice of the CC0 license and its intended effects, and hereby declare that all my past and future contributions to the OSDev.org Wiki are licensed under the effect of the CC0.

(Note: You might want to rephrase the intro. Right now it sounds as if you want our statements so that the Wiki text may not be reused and all barebones users can be sued. :twisted: )
Every good solution is obvious once you've found it.
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Hi,

I have taken notice of the CC0 license and its intended effects, and hereby declare that all my past and future contributions to the OSDev.org Wiki are licensed under the effect of the CC0.

Cheers,

Brendan
For all things; perfection is, and will always remain, impossible to achieve in practice. However; by striving for perfection we create things that are as perfect as practically possible. Let the pursuit of perfection be our guide.
Neolander

Post by Neolander »

I don't remember if I've contributed something, but I think I have, so...

(You should probably make sure that people who subscribe to the "wiki" group in the future see a warning about this licensing situation)
thepowersgang
Freenode IRC: thePowersGang

Post by thepowersgang »

There :)
Kernel Development, It's the brain surgery of programming.
Acess2 OS (c) | Tifflin OS (rust) | mrustc - Rust compiler
Currently Working on: mrustc
quok

Post by quok »

I've only ever made minor edits, but here we go.

Post by 01000101 »

8)
earlz

Post by earlz »

(not sure if I've contributed enough to count, but figured I'd give a statement for good measure)
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Not sure if I contributed anything copyrightable, but anyway...

(For future contributions you should just make it a requirement. Whoever edits the wiki, automatically agrees with the license. It's the same on Wikipedia)
Developer of tyndur - community OS of Lowlevel (German)
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

If anyone care, I have not checked the default license on forum.osdev.org but:
I have taken notice of the CC0 license and its intended effects, and hereby declare that all my past and future contributions to Forum.OSDev.org are licensed under the effect of the CC0.
TylerH

Post by TylerH »

I can't remember if I've ever actually edited it, but I do have edit permissions, so I'll go ahead and post.

Jezze
Freenode IRC: jfu

Post by Jezze »

I hereby declare that I have taken notice of the CC0 license and its intended effects, and hereby declare that all my contributions to the OSDev.org Wiki and its predecessor the MegaTokyo FAQ are licensed under the effect of the CC0.
Last edited by Jezze on Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fudge - Simplicity, clarity and speed.
http://github.com/Jezze/fudge/
piranha

Post by piranha »

I hereby declare that I have taken notice of the CC0 license and its intended effects, and hereby declare that all my contributions to the OSDev.org Wiki and its predecessor the MegaTokyo FAQ are licensed under the effect of the CC0.

-JL
SeaOS: Adding VT-x, networking, and ARM support
dbittman on IRC, @danielbittman on twitter
https://dbittman.github.io
Brynet-Inc
Freenode IRC: brynet

Post by Brynet-Inc »

I've contributed little, and I believe the CCO is a bit wordy, but I'll allow it.

Arrr, me harby declare that Me have taken notice o' the CC0 license and its intended effects, and harby declare that all me contributions t' the Osde'.org Wiki be licensed under the effect o' the CC0. Aye, me horny parrot concurs.
Twitter: @canadianbryan. Award by smcerm, I stole it. Original was larger.
gravaera
Location: Supporting the cause: Use \tabs to indent code. NOT \x20 spaces.

Post by gravaera »

Legal junk :?

EDIT: Thought I should do this to make sure I more clearly ease the transition: The intention of the above statement is not just to give rights as described in the CC0, but give blanket rights to use, modify, refactor, copy, distribute and otherwise make use of any material I submit to the OSDev.org website, it's wiki, and any of its subsidiary knowledge databases; such rights I extend as far as, and not further than, the scope of information and material I submit to this website, and its subsidiary knowledge bases. This post may be used as a statement of my "intent" as a copyright holder, and construed in favour of the defendant in any legal hearing involving material I have submitted to OSDev.org and its subsidiary knowledgebases.
Last edited by gravaera on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
17:56 < sortie> Paging is called paging because you need to draw it on pages in your notebook to succeed at it.