OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Yesterday's FUN FACT pointless
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:13 am 

You don't care about someone, they are a bore and yet the site draws the attention of readers to an announcement that does nothing for the advancement of the community.

Wouldn't it be better to turf the fun fact because it does nothing for OSDev except possibly show petty vindictiveness and the admins do care? Seems like a form of apophasis.

Post subject: Re: Yesterday's FUN FACT pointless
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:09 am 

You're right, it doesn't - and there is only one person it is of interest to. However, they had reason to think it was the only way to get the person they were trying to reach to listen.

I believe their intent was to get @andrewthompson555's attention, since he was continuing to make a nuisance of himself long after he got what he wanted.

Apparently, AT555 didn't notice that the account was in fact active, and wasn't reading their email messages telling him so, but continued to try to pressure the mods to reactivate it by creating sockpuppet accounts and spamming the site with random obscenities and demands to reinstate an account that was already reinstated - most of which the mods took down before the rest of us could even see them.

As for the 'I don't care about you' part, yes, it was rather petty, but the point was that they didn't want to think he was reinstated because he could push the mods around - the ban simply timed out without them bothering to make it permanent.

So no, it doesn't belong in this particular sub-forum, but it was the only place he was likely to be reading.

I expect that this will be Jeffed to the Auto-Delete soon, and that as soon as AT555 responds, the pinned message will go away.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:38 am 

MichaelPetch wrote:
You don't care about someone, they are a bore and yet the site draws the attention of readers to an announcement that does nothing for the advancement of the community.

Wouldn't it be better to turf the fun fact because it does nothing for OSDev except possibly show petty vindictiveness and the admins do care? Seems like a form of apophasis.

And now you draw more attention to him (and, unfortunately, so do I).

Just ignore him and all his many aliases.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:52 am 

iansjack wrote:
And now you draw more attention to him (and, unfortunately, so do I).

Just ignore him and all his many aliases.

How about someone delete the Fun Fact and this thread (note I didn't even mention the individual specifically). I've got no issue with both being wiped out. I wouldn't have had to post this message had it not been for the announcement that sits at the top if the forum. Consider it an idea in the future that if admin(s) have a problem with someone and the site doesn't actually care about them, and that they are a bore then it might be in the best interests of keeping the forum on topic and civil by doing nothing. if the admins don't care about them, then we the plebs shouldn't either. New people coming to the site and reading the forum for the first time will get sucked right in if they start with the announcements. Is that really what we want?

I should point out that I have been ignoring him as I haven't to my knowledge had direct negative interactions with them. I'm not the one who made the announcement that is pinned at the top. I've read the recent thread where the individual's name reappeared and chose to stay clear. If we are suppose to ignore the announcement itself then that is another good reason to remove it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:32 pm 

The best way to deal with things quietly is via PM.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:07 pm 

I have had correspondence from the person who made the announcement and I'm satisfied that the issue is no longer an issue.