OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: OSDev.org Discord Server
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:06 pm 

IRC is pretty bad for programming chats, at least in my opinion. I've decided to make a chat for us, OSDevers, to stay communicated. Invite link is https://discord.gg/aJPTY8Y. All forum moderators will get an Administration role when they'll join. Rules are pretty simple: do whatever you want as long as noone's offended, respect administration and stay on topic.

OSDev newbies can copy any code from my repositories, just leave a notice that this code was written by U365 development team, not by you.

Post subject: Re: OSDev.org Discord Server
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:36 pm 

Great idea, much better than IRC!

Appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:53 am 

What makes Discord better than IRC? I don't feel like it offers anything new or worthwhile, plus it is proprietary non-free software which some people might not want to run.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:18 am 

matt11235 wrote:
What makes Discord better than IRC? I don't feel like it offers anything new or worthwhile, plus it is proprietary non-free software which some people might not want to run.

Persistent logs that don't get lost while you're in transit with your laptop lid closed (and you don't need to go to weird public website generated by a bot to fetch them either - you can see and answer them in the app directly; no IRC server is capable of that).

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:50 am 

matt11235 wrote:

I don't care at all about the license as long as the software is good.

OSDev newbies can copy any code from my repositories, just leave a notice that this code was written by U365 development team, not by you.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:00 pm 

I notice that you are using​ the logo from this web site. Did you obtain the permission of the site owners to do so? If not you are in breach of copyright.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:24 pm 

iansjack wrote:
I notice that you are using​ the logo from this web site. Did you obtain the permission of the site owners to do so? If not you are in breach of copyright.

I will remove the logo then. Thanks for reminding me about it :P

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:25 pm 

You could just ask the site owners here for permission. Otherwise, you are probably still in breach of copyright by calling your site OSDev.org.

Although it is possible that they may not think it desirable for osdev.org to be associated with a chat setup aimed at gamers. Which is another reason why you should ask permission from them. It's common courtesy as well as a probable legal obligation.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:19 am 

iansjack wrote:
You could just ask the site owners here for permission. Otherwise, you are probably still in breach of copyright by calling your site OSDev.org.

Although it is possible that they may not think it desirable for osdev.org to be associated with a chat setup aimed at gamers. Which is another reason why you should ask permission from them. It's common courtesy as well as a probable legal obligation.

Indeed. That's something that really would need Chase's approval ahead of time. I know you meant well, but this is a touchy area to be playing around with.

(Also, I would have suggested Slack , which is more aimed as groupware for dev teams, rather than Discord (though that's still proprietary IIUC), but... well, that's a really minor point.)

In any case, I don't really see this group using any form of IM, as it just doesn't meet the site's needs. The IRC channel was dead for a reason; I'm guessing that it was set up more pro forma than anything else, rather than because it was going to be used. The topic simply doesn't lend itself to short answers or casual chat.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:10 am 

Hi,

Quote:
The IRC channel was dead for a reason
It wasn't dead and it isn't dead. It's actually gaining more activity by the time. As I said in another post, when I first joined two years ago there were less than 300 nicks - now there are around 350.

However, the problem with IRC is that discussions can easily become a mess and that no one can clean up the logs (i.e. remove spam, separate messages into topics, etc). This way I use the forums for more serious discussions, while I use IRC for more quick discussions. Both fit their purposes well.

Regards,
glauxosdever

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:29 am 

Schol-R-LEA wrote:
(Also, I would have suggested Slack , which is more aimed as groupware for dev teams, rather than Discord (though that's still proprietary IIUC), but... well, that's a really minor point.)

Slack is more team oriented, and we're not a team.

Discord has a lower entry barrier for unrelated users to come together

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:16 pm 

I like the #osdev IRC because it generally has an average level of understanding and knowledge far greater than the forums.

Discord is neat and I use it with some groups but I honestly can't see it being that useful for OS dev. Plus it's very voice-focused, and I'm fairly certain there's only a few people on the forums I'd like to be in a conference call with.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:36 pm 

There are several forums with a discord server and they are doing well. Discord doesn't focus more on voice than text and there's the advantage of multiple channels.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:58 pm 

Kazinsal wrote:
I like the #osdev IRC because it generally has an average level of understanding and knowledge far greater than the forums.

And now I am wondering if I should have been using the IRC channel after all. I was expecting the reverse, and had the impression it was unused except for the occasional newcomer.

On second thought, I sound foolish enough even when I can edit my statements. Chat system and I have never really seen eye to I ;-).

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:56 pm 

Schol-R-LEA wrote:
And now I am wondering if I should have been using the IRC channel after all. I was expecting the reverse, and had the impression it was unused except for the occasional newcomer.

On second thought, I sound foolish enough even when I can edit my statements. Chat system and I have never really seen eye to I ;-).

Yeah, we have a number of professionals in the IRC, and a good number of people who actually have some idea of what they're doing to discuss design and architecture and problems and so forth. There are quiet hours but there's almost always people around.

Editing your messages is one thing that Discord has that is handy. Moreso for typos than full re-phrasings though.