OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Change the Description of this Forum?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:49 am 

I wonder if the description of this forum needs changing. Or perhaps it should be done away with altogether. People are stating, with apparent authority, that questions not related to OS Development shouldn't be posted in it.

Would one of the moderators care to comment? Is it true that
Quote:
All off topic discussions go here. Everything from the funny thing your cat did to your favorite tv shows. Non-programming computer questions are ok too.
or is it not? If not, what is allowed?

I'd hate to upset anyone with tales of the funny thing my dog did.

Post subject: Re: Change the Description of this Forum?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:58 am 

I think that there is no need to change anything. The topic impelled you to write this post is just a bright example of male chauvinism and intolerance of some members of this forum, nothing more.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:58 am 

iansjack wrote:
I'd hate to upset anyone with tales of the funny thing my dog did.
Yeah, no, be careful, I'm pretty sure it's only for cat stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:53 am 

So I guess it's OK if the funny thing he did was to the cat.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:55 pm 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
Almost every forum has an off-topic section. Heck, we have two: one for interesting ramblings and the really bad stuff you don't want your next boss to find out.

Then what is the purpose of that off-topic section? It's designed to allow the community a place to discuss things other than the main subject of the forum. It's designed for like-minded people to share their opinion on matters. Essentially you can expect of the user of the off-topic forum to be well-versed in the forums core subject, be it that he doesn't have that in mind at that very time.

The off-topic forum is not primarily about the questions being asked, its about socializing.

Ask yourself, would you go to a my-little-pony forum if you're neither a brony nor pegasister (nor a troll, for completeness sake)?

--------------

My personal problem with this thread (and the last few in general) is that several of the posters seem to be autistic enough to ask for a perfectly conclusive rule. As far as I'm concerned, that is a stupid question, even though Eric S. Raymond doesn't document it. Get it?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:58 pm 

Quote:
My personal problem with this thread (and the last few in general) is that several of the posters seem to be autistic enough to ask for a perfectly conclusive rule.
Funnily enough, my problem is the exact opposite - that some posters seem to be autistic enough to impose a perfectly conclusive rule of their own, and to do so aggressively.

I'm more than happy to let this forum be exactly how it is described. My query as to whether the description should be changed was not serious; it was more a roundabout way of saying "what's wrong with the way things are in this open forum?". "Who the hell are these egos to tell us what is and what isn't allowed?" If the posters who were so rude to another person, who had the temerity to pose what seemed to be a perfectly a legitimate question in this forum, had any sense of decency they would now apologise to that party.

But that is cloud-cuckoo land. I've seen enough of these forums to realise that the egos outstrip the common sense.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:04 pm 

Location: Supporting the cause: Use \tabs to indent code. NOT \x20 spaces.
Battle of the autists...

Which point on the autistic spectrum will become the new mode? Does the rest of the world care? Stay tuned for the next post in this highly engaging epic!

--Peace out,
gravaera

17:56 < sortie> Paging is called paging because you need to draw it on pages in your notebook to succeed at it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:40 pm 

Combuster wrote:
Then what is the purpose of that off-topic section? It's designed to allow the community a place to discuss things other than the main subject of the forum. It's designed for like-minded people to share their opinion on matters. Essentially you can expect of the user of the off-topic forum to be well-versed in the forums core subject, be it that he doesn't have that in mind at that very time.

The off-topic forum is not primarily about the questions being asked, its about socializing.

I agree.

However, the phrasing in the description makes this unclear:
Quote:
All off topic discussions go here. Everything from the funny thing your cat did to your favorite tv shows. Non-programming computer questions are ok too.

By saying "non-programming computer questions are okay too", we're grabbing the attention of people who ask Linux-related questions, because those questions are non-programming and computer-related. As you just pointed out, the off-topic forum is not really about the questions, so we shouldn't even be mentioning questions in the description. I think that simply removing that last sentence could do a lot to deter the problematic threads.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:32 pm 

Hi,

iansjack wrote:
Would one of the moderators care to comment?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25425#p211349

Looking back at the forum post dates, I see 6 active topics in General Ramblings over the past 2 weeks. Of these, 2 involve discussions about Linux and one receives a prompt and informative reply. I really don't see the creation of these topics as being a big issue and certainly would not consider throwing the rulebook at anyone creating such questions. In fact, in one of these posts, the OP offers a reasonable explanation about why the topic was posted here.

If the entire population of LinuxQuestions moves to the OSDev.org General Ramblings forum, then I think we have more of a problem.

As stated in my other post on this issue: If you don't have a sensible answer to the question, don't post. If you have a problem with someone asking the question in the first place, use the "report this post" button. If you feel that someone will get a much better response by posting elsewhere, then politely point them in that direction.

Cheers,
Adam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:53 pm 

Thanks for the reply. Seems eminently sensible to me.

In response to your post in the other thread, I agree completely that posters need to do their homework before posting in the technical forums (which is what I was warning my friend - a newcomer to OS development - about). But I do wonder sometimes if it is necessary to be quite so rude to offenders. I guess if that's the way you talk to strangers face-to-face then that's another matter. I value my front teeth too much to do that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:27 pm 

Take it easy, you won't lose teeth being insulted in a forum, you won't lose anything indeed.
While I agree everyone should be nice to other (And I'm sure everyone is nice guy in reality, and with passion for their work). It seems like internet culture for not being very nice to newcomer or rule breaker since there is no alternative "punishment" for warning purpose.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:37 pm 

You know what's ironic? This is the wrong subforum for this kind of post (it should've been here).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:18 am 

:lol: moved.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:04 am 

I think that was a mistake, Now the OP makes absolutely no sense.

For the sake of anyone who doesn't realise, this thread refers to the "General Ramblings" forum, not this one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:07 am 

bluemoon wrote:
Take it easy, you won't lose teeth being insulted in a forum, you won't lose anything indeed.
While I agree everyone should be nice to other (And I'm sure everyone is nice guy in reality, and with passion for their work). It seems like internet culture for not being very nice to newcomer or rule breaker since there is no alternative "punishment" for warning purpose.
Well, that's the point I was making. Keyboard bullies are very brave when they don't actually face the person they are insulting.

Anyone who lacks the social skills to rebuke someone politely, at least in the first instance, is a sad individual.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next