The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Ran a half-marathon yesterday
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

berkus wrote:
I guess now I know why forum forgets my login on every page reload :cry:

Little off-topic there as I doubt my running has anything to do with your forum problems....please start a new thread next time.

If you can't stay logged it:
* Your IP address might be changing. There is a session hijacking prevention feature of phpBB that makes sure your IP doesn't change too much. If you are using things like Tor (with different exit nodes), proxy servers, or just have a poor ISP then your IP might be changing.
* If you are using any type of anonymizing setup you might also be stripping out the session tracking cookies. The cause could be anything from a proxy server issue to browser plugins.

Post subject: Re: Ran a half-marathon yesterday
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:06 pm 

Do you have cookies turned on? phpBB requires php sessions to maintain your login status, which in turn requires that the browser sends a session id with each request which is a cookie.

Post subject: Re: Can't stay logged in to forum
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:12 pm 

I had a similar problem today - I was suddenly thrown out and couldn't log in for a while...

BTW, the bot-stopping question is a nice idea - even though I doubt that everybody here could answer questions like "Which x86 register holds the source address of a movsb instruction?" ;) This should be a required question for registering a board account...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:38 pm 

I just wan't to confirm it happened to me as well. I couldn't log in and it was not because of my password because I rechecked it a bunch of times.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:19 pm 

Oh! This is an old story. Happened exactly same to me couple of times. But I think Berkus has different issues.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:54 am 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
I had the "Login attempts limit exceeded" message just once a while ago without apparent reason, but I initially dismissed that as some really sad person trying to guess passwords. Apart from that, I do seem to get random logouts at times but not really frequent (once every other week max). What annoys me more is that the website is occasionally unreachable for several minutes - maybe it's related.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:47 am 

berkus wrote:
Chandra wrote:
Oh! This is an old story. Happened exactly same to me couple of times. But I think Berkus has different issues.

I think it's the same.
What's worse, when trying to log back in it says "Login attempts limit exceeded, enter additional data below to prove you're human."
It always happens suddenly and continues for a short while (like 30 minutes to an hour) and then returns to normal.

That's exactly what I came across couple of times before. I simply ignored it assuming it was kinda security maintainance. But now it seems as if most of the forum members are having similar trouble.