OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Suggestion: link to be added to the rules
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:35 pm 

A whole essay on identifying and eliminating trolls. Quite nifty! It's mostly Wikipedia-related, but it applies to forums and newsgroups as well.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/What_is_a_troll%3F

It keeps stunning me how friendly we - as a community - are towards people who start programming "their first OS" who don't even have a solid understanding of pointers, their compiler, or how a OS is structured.

I wish I could add more tex

Post subject: Re: Suggestion: link to be added to the rules
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:45 pm 

The problem is that a lot of the worst offenders lack the capacity to identify themselves as trolls. They identify people saying negative things (regardless of truth), as trolls. Then, because they feel slighted, decide to "punish the trolls" by reducing the forum's signal to noise ratio.

If anything, I think the required reading should be amended to state that forum members tend to be honest, and that such honesty is not always pleasant. The best programmers I know tend to be toughest when evaluating their own work. This is what pushes them to improve as programmers.

As I've said before, I have yet to figure out how to state such things to beginning programmers.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:33 pm 

No offense to Combuster, but he's proof that honesty can't always be nice and kind.

It keeps stunning me how friendly we - as a community - are towards people who start programming "their first OS" who don't even have a solid understanding of pointers, their compiler, or how a OS is structured.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:48 pm 

Honesty isn't intrinsically nice or kind.

I once tutored a friend for a CS course. And I was a terrible tutor, because I was too nice. I helped them far more than I should have, and they came to depend on me. And we were both fooled into thinking progress was being made, when it really wasn't.

If I could do it all over again, I'd make sure they took their medicine, no matter how distasteful it was.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:22 am 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
Troy Martin wrote:
No offense to Combuster, but he's proof that honesty can't always be nice and kind.

No offence taken. I can't possibly be kind to everybody - I don't have the time for that. And I bet on it that neither can anybody else here.
The rules also have something to say on that:
smart questions wrote:
Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy.

And while I could add a link about trolling to the rules, it has no effect since trolls are by definition not interested in following them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:03 am 

Ah, but this link could help established members defeat trolls! We just need some trollbait... I have a few (read: ten or twenty) pounds of ground beef and burgers in my freezer, will that help?