OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: OsDev in other languages
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:54 am 

I'd like to propose one thing:
osdev.org is a very good site and very interesting, so somebody could translate it in other languages, like italian, franch, spanish or what else?
It's a very interesting project, and I think can be more useful if is available in many languages.
Answer me at mailto:[email protected] ,please

Azzka

Post subject: Re: OsDev in other languages
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:43 pm 

azzka wrote:
I'd like to propose one thing:
osdev.org is a very good site and very interesting, so somebody could translate it in other languages, like italian, franch, spanish or what else?
It's a very interesting project, and I think can be more useful if is available in many languages.
Answer me at mailto:[email protected] ,please

Azzka

Translating a forum into another language is simply a waste of time, especially when several non-English communities already exist..

You could also start your own forum, over time it may grow... i.e: fill up with duplicate topics like here. ;)

Please, save the world from botched translation attempts.. [-o<

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:16 pm 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
Still, the fact remains that the de-facto language for programmers is English.
If people can't do English, they can't read the specifications, and therefore they can't self-sufficiently write an OS.

From experience, there have been several attempts at hosting a non-english forum, and they all failed. Thing is, the people with experience are concentrated in three places (osdev.org, alt.os.development, #osdev@freenode), all of those are in English. Its more productive for anyone to ask here than at your site, hence you'll only get those folks who lack the english but do know your language, which comes down to, well, waste of internet space :mrgreen:.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:07 am 

I suspect the OP was talking about the wiki, not the forum. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:22 am 

hi,
great idea! But useless in the end .It is useless as far as India is concerned because those people who know programmig atleast know basic english .Therefore duplicating everything is waste of time and effort.People who actually benifit from such an effort really does not exist .
I think Indians can speak English well compared to other asian nationalities , that's why we see a lot of call centres mushrooming here in India . Its BPO ...whatever

Regards
Sandeep

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:35 am 

If anyone's interested, I could run the google translator for Romanian and then correct it by hand. It shouldn't take long.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:28 am 

If you do this (hosting a localized version of the Wiki, which I personally think is a complete waste of time), please be sensible and host it as read-only, directing people who want to contribute to the main site.

While virtually every decent software engineer should be able to write at least half-decent English, very few (comparatively speaking) will be able to read Russian, Italian, Japaneese, Kroatian, ... - meaning that wisdom added to those localized Wikis would be lost for everyone not being able to read the language in question.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:33 am 

Maybe you don't understood that I'd like not a translation of the forum but a translation of the wiki.
And because I'm italian, I'd like to create an Italian Translating Project for the wiki, not the forum.
I hope you understand me,
//azzka//

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:13 am 

I have friends who know programming and don't know any english at all. I know it's weird and most docs are in english but it happens. Not to the majority of us, but should we abandon them just because they don't know english. After all, it's not really a requirement in making an OS if you have the available material.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:30 am 

But in OS development, you'll have to translate every specification they might need. You know, those insanely large documents which have lots of details hidden between the lines.

It took just under half a year for the dutch translation of the last Harry Potter. Now try the 5 books that are the intel manuals.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:51 am 

I don't need to. There are plenty of textbooks available for that. They may not be Intel, but they're good enough.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:15 pm 

Then let's start an argument over "good enough", since my definition will probably differ from yours, and with that the definitions of the people you will have to explain.

And you're not really expecting people to buy all those "good enough" textbooks, right? :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:58 pm 

No, I'm expecting them to ilegally download them from the internet :lol:
Actually, as an aside, I have an obsession on getting all the *original/official* docs for everything. Even for algorithms (think of it as a personal museum). However, when it comes to hardware, it's really useful; no doubt about it. But I'm not going to translate all that... too much time...