Feature Request: Additional Search Parameters

Questions, comments, and suggestions about this site should go here.

Feature Request: Additional Search Parameters

Post by 01000101 »

Hi, I was wondering if it would be possible to extend the search words to include special characters? I tried searching for the word "D.i.N.S." and it said that I entered "D i N S" which returned as 4 seperate 'words'. I don't know if there is a security issue with enabling special character input, so that's why its not a big deal if it can't/wont be done.
thepowersgang
Freenode IRC: thePowersGang

Re: Feature Request: Additional Search Parameters

Post by thepowersgang »

The ability to quote your search would be a very good idea. I was having some troubles finding a post about real mode emulators (I can remember someone mentioning one as an alternative to vm86) and the only search term that was used was emulator, even though I surrounded the term in quotes.
Kernel Development, It's the brain surgery of programming.
Acess2 OS (c) | Tifflin OS (rust) | mrustc - Rust compiler
Currently Working on: mrustc
chase
Site Admin

Post by chase »

kmcguire has done some work on adding our own custom google search that would span both the wiki and the forums so there will be some more searching options in the future. I've just got to integrate his bits and fill out some paper work. To get no-ads we are supposed to be a government approved non-profit which I've been meaning to do anyway....

I can't find an easy way to search for D.i.N.S., I think phpbb is using the period as a word boundry when building it's search index and single letter words get discarded. The best solution I found is to search for all topics started by 01000101 (first post of topic only and display results as topic).
JJeronimo

Post by JJeronimo »

thepowersgang wrote:I was having some troubles finding a post about real mode emulators (I can remember someone mentioning one as an alternative to vm86) and the only search term that was used was emulator, even though I surrounded the term in quotes.

Is it worth mentioning that newsgroups don't have stupid "features" like this one?

I don't remember having so many problems searching for posts using Google Groups, and it's database is far older and vast than the database of any forum in existence.

JJ