OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

What do you think about this community (choose whichever fits best)
Poll ended at Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:11 am
I'm new, and I like this place 20%  20%  [ 16 ]
I'm new, and I find it OK 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
I'm new, I dislike the ego of the senior members 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
I'm new, I dislike the average level of the other users 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
I'm new, this place sucks 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'm a regular, I think this place is going good 27%  27%  [ 22 ]
I'm a regular, I think the newcomers level's too low 30%  30%  [ 25 ]
I'm a regular, I think that other regulars are polishing their ego 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
I do not wish to share my opinion 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
I do not fit any of the categories above 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 82
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:46 am 

I've been poking around the site since July of 2007 and must consider myself new since my post count is so low. I consider that a good thing since most of my time is spent reading the forums and the wiki/etc. I'm glad to see that some of my posts were used as examples of bad juju! :)

I've not guaged the level of compentance of the posters since most of my readings have been in the archives. I have groaned reading some of those historical postings when the OP just didn't bother to read anything for themselves. I especially loved the multiple threads by some fellow who ultimately got mad because no one would give him the code for a OS to load an application... a project for school that he wanted a grade for... how bold can one get?

The key reason my post count is so low is because I take the time to read all the matierial this web site has to offer. I've worked through Bran's tutorials, JamesM's tutorials, all of the baby steps, etc. I've asked a couple good questions when my toolchain porked up, but I learned 17 years ago on BITNET that you should do your own research before poking others for help. Not doing your own legwork and just asking for code is a sure fire bet that you'll be blacklisted...

edit: and I must add that there is some wicked talent on this web site... a person can learn some great stuff here if patience and a bit of humility are brought to the table. I can't believe how many posts I've read from newcomers that don't know the ASM of their processor or higher level programming... when the FAQ said that OS programming isn't easy it was spot on. I think the world is filled with FNG "Linus Torvalds" wannabe's who think their going to sit down and just spit out some Windows/Linux/*BSD/OS X killer operating system...

Now, can someone give me some good OS codes that can give me an high mark on my OS course project? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:32 am 

It was great back in MegaTokyo forum (if my memory serves me right), I miss that forum. :cry:

I'm really only interested in the design & theory section to find ideas and all that knowledge and experiences people had. In that aspect I think it is well worth the hours of reading so that time is not wastefull implementing. MegaTokya was great on that so is OSDev (but I think some of the stuff back in 2004 was never transferred here). Its great that the knowledgable people here are sharing information. I am actually amazed and satisfied at particularly how much people in this forum learn't ASM to write thier own bootsector & loader verses back in 2005 year of the Grub.

I'm not a heavy poster, nor is native english tongue, or new to OS development but don't consider to be a veteran either, nor do I hate this forum or worship it either. But as it stands OSDev is currently the best place to find your hobby OS development information on the web, I thank particularly Brendan for that as I think he deserves it for the outstanding responses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:09 pm 

This is just another example:
http://www.osdev.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17136

People should read up before they start coding...
(No offense meant to that poster...)
Jules

No off-topic replies - please post this where you should - Combuster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:34 am 

am relatively new here but this place has helped me a lot....
I am not sure if I can say am a regular...

yes Special regards to
Combuster, Solar, JamesM, Dex(dex os guy) and 1001010(hope i have the numbers correct the one with the red eyed avatar).

I started with reading the JamesM tutorial on OS dev. I also regularly read and make a note of the posts done by you guys they are equally informative as the wiki..

You guys rock....

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:06 pm 

naiksidd_85 wrote:
am relatively new here but this place has helped me a lot....
I am not sure if I can say am a regular...

yes Special regards to
Combuster, Solar, JamesM, Dex(dex os guy) and 1001010(hope i have the numbers correct the one with the red eyed avatar).

I started with reading the JamesM tutorial on OS dev. I also regularly read and make a note of the posts done by you guys they are equally informative as the wiki..

You guys rock....

lol close enough I suppose.

I personally would have given up a long time ago on the DiNS idea as I would have had no where to ask for help on the common roadblocks in OS development. Also, just reading other issues and seeing the solutions has helped me avoid plenty of potential issues. This is the #1 place for OS dev help.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2