Two Birds, One Stone.

Questions, comments, and suggestions about this site should go here.
NickJohnson

Re: Two Birds, One Stone.

Post by NickJohnson »

That will definitely weed out bots and spammers, but the issue is that any noob can find a "binary converter" on the internet: http://acc6.its.brooklyn.cuny.edu/~gurwitz/core5/nav2tool.html. Making them search the wiki would be good, but the wiki is always in some flux, so you would have to monitor the section the question refers to. It would be better to reference the Intel manuals, for example, so the new user would demonstrate their ability to Google it and read an actual manual. You could ask something simple but hard to directly Google, like: "what is the name of the x86 assembly instruction to read from an I/O port?"

Btw, nice choice of answer for the binary question. :lol:
JackScott

Post by JackScott »

They *can* find a binary converter on the Internet, but that in itself is the smartest way to solve the problem. I wouldn't bother wasting my time to read and translate the binary, it's much more efficient to find a converter.

And it works on spam, which is very nice. I haven't cleaned anything up since it was implemented (thanks Chase!), how about the other mods?
Troy Martin

Post by Troy Martin »

JackScott wrote:And it works on spam, which is very nice. I haven't cleaned anything up since it was implemented (thanks Chase!), how about the other mods?

Agreed, it's quite handy.

--Tacos
Solar wrote:It keeps stunning me how friendly we - as a community - are towards people who start programming "their first OS" who don't even have a solid understanding of pointers, their compiler, or how a OS is structured.
I wish I could add more tex