Spam

Questions, comments, and suggestions about this site should go here.
purage
On Probation

Spam

Post by purage »

I just noticed the new spam something about nike or something. Here are my suggestions to help prevent it in the future:

01. Delay new members from posting until 24 hours after activation of new accounts.
02. Do not allow posters to change the subject line when replying.

good luck
JamesM

Re: Spam

Post by JamesM »

There have been numerous discussions about the best way to get rid of spam; the current consensus seems to be to delete it fast with active moderators instead of enforcing overly strict prevention procedures that could stifle normal users.

The current method seems to be working well.
AJ

Post by AJ »

For anyone who doesn't already know, you can also "report this post" (the exact location of the button will vary depending on the site theme you have chosen, but there is a button contained within each post).

Reporting a post flags it up to the mods as soon as one of us logs in, and enables us to delete the offending posts much more quickly (someone (possibly the OP) helpfully reported all the Nike posts and I got rid of them all within a few minutes of them appearing on the site).

As for the delay thing, several spambots recently seem to have waited a week or two before posting, unfortunately :(

Allowing spambots to change the topic title is, oddly, quitehelpful for the mods. It allows us to very quickly see which new posts are likely to be spam :)

Cheers,
Adam
JohnnyTheDon

Post by JohnnyTheDon »

I find the topics of some of the spam interresting. Apparently spam bots think we need some handbags :)
Brynet-Inc
Freenode IRC: brynet

Post by Brynet-Inc »

Just customize the login/registration form.. :roll:

I swear I've recommended this countless times in the past.. this forum is indexed on Google and countless other search engines, it's only targeted by automated scripts.

Just how many will target OSDev exclusively? probably none at all.. annoyance eliminated.
Twitter: @canadianbryan. Award by smcerm, I stole it. Original was larger.
Combuster
Freenode IRC: [com]buster
Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance

Post by Combuster »

Just customize the login/registration form..
Has already been done.

Besides, dealing with one bot a week (on average) isn't as troublesome as the amount of spam you get on your mail every day.
"Certainly avoid yourself. He is a newbie and might not realize it. You'll hate his code deeply a few years down the road." - Sortie
[ My OS ] [ VDisk/SFS ]
Troy Martin

Post by Troy Martin »

I think we ought to add E's OS dev quiz to both get noobs to read the wiki and google, and to slow down spambots.
Solar wrote:It keeps stunning me how friendly we - as a community - are towards people who start programming "their first OS" who don't even have a solid understanding of pointers, their compiler, or how a OS is structured.
I wish I could add more tex
AndrewAPrice

Post by AndrewAPrice »

Have a random question like:
Which microkernel was designed to become the future of all operating systems but failed when the implementation produced less than ouststanding performance?
My OS is Perception.
overburn

Post by overburn »

erm i have a question , i think this is where to post it:
my ip got banned... but i don't know why... no warning no nothing. can anyone enlighten me on this? thank you. the user didn't get banned however.. weird.
One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, Floor!
AJ

Post by AJ »

Hi,

Do you have a static IP? If so, PM me and I'll un-ban it.

When a spambot gets banned, the user gets permbanned and the IP gets a temporary ban. If you are unlucky enough that your dynamic IP happened to conflict with a spammers IP, that may be why.

Cheers,
Adam
overburn

Post by overburn »

the weird thing is that it's static. however i can get it to reallocate if i switch nics. so there's no need to unban it .
for the record it was [ip address removed]
One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, Floor!
Combuster
Freenode IRC: [com]buster
Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance

Post by Combuster »

overburn wrote:for the record it was [ip address removed]

Hmm that's the same IP as you are posting with right now...
"Certainly avoid yourself. He is a newbie and might not realize it. You'll hate his code deeply a few years down the road." - Sortie
[ My OS ] [ VDisk/SFS ]
AJ

Post by AJ »

Hmm...interestingly, that IP is not currently in the banlist. Perhaps it's just a 'blip'. Let me know if it happens again and I'll try to get to the bottom of it.

Cheers,
Adam
Love4Boobies

Post by Love4Boobies »

MessiahAndrw wrote:Which microkernel was designed to become the future of all operating systems but failed when the implementation produced less than ouststanding performance?

I have no clue which microkernel you are talking about. Maybe all of them? If not, I probably wouldn't be able to register :)
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.", Popular Mechanics (1949)
[ Project UDI ]
Colonel Kernel

Post by Colonel Kernel »

I think the answer to the skill-testing question is: Mach.
Top three reasons why my OS project died:
  1. Too much overtime at work
  2. Got married
  3. My brain got stuck in an infinite loop while trying to design the memory manager
Don't let this happen to you!