OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Reporting chronic problems
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:02 pm 

Sometimes, a situation arises in a topic. If things go too bad, we have the "Report" button for individual posts. Sometimes, the situation in a topic is part of a "chronic problem", one that may have already existed for several years. In that case, it doesn't make much sense to report individual posts, because they are just the tip of the iceberg. It makes sense to report the actual problem itself, in a way to bring the moderators' attention and without resorting to public shaming and bullying.

We now have an active topic that talks about one such problem, that is the manners of a member here (won't say who in order to avoid further bullying against them). The same topic, however, is itself part of a related problem, that is that bullying is still considered acceptable or, at least, is not criticized as it ought to. The problem, in relation to said member, would be maybe solved by now, if there was an efficient and obvious way to report it. The problem, in relation to said topic itself, would not even exist, if again there was an efficient and obvious way to report the problem in relation of said member.

The forum software allows only 5 recipients per PM, but I would find it necessary for all moderators to receive the report, and for all moderators to be able to reply to the report, with the reply being visible to all moderators (and the member who originally reported the problem). Granted, there aren't more that 5 moderators active at this point (edit: the total amounts to just 2). But, either way, it can be tedious to check the last visit time of each moderator before adding them to the recipients.

Would PMing the 5 most active moderators be an acceptable solution to report a problem that's not limited to just a couple of posts? Or would the moderators object to that?

Post subject: Re: Reporting chronic problems
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:04 pm 

Hello,
I believe you can enter a comment when reporting a post, so you could tell the mods what the problem is.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:14 pm 

I would recommend sending a PM to Octocontrabass and klange, I believe they are the most active mods. If you have a concern about the site which you do not wish to discuss in public then sending a PM to the mods is a perfectly acceptable way to approach it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:47 pm 

jesus christ, testjz. are you serious? don't you have a more enjoyable reason to bang you keyboard? that "problem" arose from literally nothing. a boy got my answer (to his question to me) histerically and generated an avalanche of snot in response, which among being laughable childish, was also awfully offtopic (which is the rule violation, btw); another boy joined and despite saying about having me in a foe list - created a self embarrassing thread about how I don't let them to be here and create their OS because make them nervous. so, here we have two aspects of a "problem" (facepalming here) 1) if I really violated something in that thread (about rk3328 emulation), then go and push "report" button on the "offensive" post, the mods will take action if needed. 2) "bullying" me or (in future, maybe other "evil doers"). honestly - I don't care, it doesn't hurt me and I really wish you all, overly concerned, do the same - not care. cheers. :mrgreen: