Recent downtime

Questions, comments, and suggestions about this site should go here.
chase
Site Admin

Recent downtime

Post by chase »

Some of you may have noticed the site has been down recently. This was caused by the server getting overloaded by a large amount of HTTP requests. Basically a couple of people (some are forum members) had started unleashing web archiving software on the site. If that doesn't sound like a bad thing just imagine every single link on the wiki being followed as fast as possible. Don't forget that each page revision gets a url. So many httpd/php processes were getting started that memory and swap were completely filled on the server.

I've banned a lot of user agents now. Yes, I know you can change the user agent is some of the web archiving software, please don't. I will start banning ip addresses if this becomes a problem.

If you would like a copy of the wiki for off-line viewing I have started making it available at: http://files.osdev.org/osdev_wiki.zip
The wiki archive will automatically be generated on a weekly basis.
Blue

Re: Recent downtime

Post by Blue »

Oh, so that is why I have had problems connecting lately. It is annoying when something like that happens, but I am glad you have managed to fix the problem :D

chase wrote:If you would like a copy of the wiki for off-line viewing I have started making it available at: http://files.osdev.org/osdev_wiki.zip

Thanks. I was desperately trying to connect to the wiki yesterday, but with little or none success. At least now I won't have to panic now if I am unable to connect :)

Blue
eddyb

Post by eddyb »

I was sure it was a downtime(first time i thought it was my internet connection - which never dies :lol: )..

Post by 01000101 »

I didn't want to start a whole new thread for this, but I can't see any of the topic names in the main forum page. All I see in that area is the name of the author, but nothing above it. It's been like that all day.

Post by 01000101 »

I just realized that it's only when I'm logged out (in guest mode) that that happens.. When I log in, I see them, but when I log back out, they are gone.
chase
Site Admin

Post by chase »

It depends on the theme you are using, I had to update the themes and I'm having to re-apply the Recent Topic mod.

Post by 01000101 »

yeah, the default (subsilver?) is the one without the recent posts, my theme (dark blue?) is working fine.