OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Preview: ToaruOS 2.1 for ARMv8
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:35 pm 

I am very pleased to announce the availability of a testing preview of ToaruOS 2.1 for ARMv8.

Porting ToaruOS to the AArch64 architecture has been an enlightening and fun experience.

The end goal is to support actual hardware targets including the Raspberry Pi 4 and M1 MacBooks, however this preview release is only for QEMU with the -m virt target (and specifically only virt-2.12). A recent version of QEMU is required. Running under KVM should work if you have appropriate host hardware, such as an RPi4 or, presumably, an M1 running Linux. Support for running under HVF on a macOS host requires a patch to QEMU that has not been merged yet.

Please note that this preview is experimental. A number of features are stilling missing, such as networking, audio, and some libc functions. As there is no access to my package repositories (and I haven't even begun to set them up for AArch64 ports), I have included a build of Doom on the ramdisk for testing.

https://github.com/klange/toaruos/relea ... 64-preview

Post subject: Re: Preview: ToaruOS 2.1 for ARMv8
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:49 am 

Your OS is a very impressive work! I spent a little time looking into the misaka kernel a few weeks ago, and found that its design is really nice and pleasant, close to the kind of perfection that I’ve been dreaming of since more than two decades :D.