OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: test serenity os
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:17 am 

I'm looking for iso image or hard disk image to test Serenity Os on virtualbox or Qemu

eventually I would install the additional components later to compile it myself but for now I just want to try and according to the faq there is no ready-made iso because "This project does not cater to non-technical users . "

Post subject: Re: test serenity os
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:44 pm 

Have you tried following the build instructions?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:07 am 

I'm not a C ++ developer so I'm not familiar with these tools and I don't have an OS recent enough to install the tools that are necessary (Win7 and Fedora21) and I don't want to upgrade to just test a OS on a VM

I thought that a serenity developer would come here and could drop me a test image (even if it's not the last version) in the meantime I was able to test ToaruOs on virtualbox thanks to an image provided by the project team

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:06 pm 

nlg wrote:
in the meantime I was able to test ToaruOs on virtualbox thanks to an image provided by the project team

the what

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:30 am 

klange wrote:
the what
Heh. I guess sometimes there is an I in team.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:58 am 

klange wrote:
the what

if you are the only one to develop ToaruOs then congratulations. the result of your work is more accessible than serenity and better from a design point of view

to come back to serenityOs, one of the members gave me a link to a testable version online: https://serenity.linus.dev I don't know if it crashes often or if there is a timeout but it allows at least to try easily

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:45 am 

nlg wrote:
I'm not a C ++ developer so I'm not familiar with these tools and I don't have an OS recent enough to install the tools that are necessary (Win7 and Fedora21) and I don't want to upgrade to just test a OS on a VM

I thought that a serenity developer would come here and could drop me a test image (even if it's not the last version) in the meantime I was able to test ToaruOs on virtualbox thanks to an image provided by the project team

Why can't you update to a more recent OS? Fedora 21 was released in 2014, and EOL in 2015.

In both cases, what are you doing for security updates?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:59 am 

it's because I have old computers (2008 & 2011) which would get way too slow with newer OS. I also think that these still work quite well because I do not install any program that I am asked on (like big compilation tools :mrgreen: ) and for security issues, I only update the browser and I do not host any services

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:21 am 

nlg wrote:
it's because I have old computers (2008 & 2011) which would get way too slow with newer OS. I also think that these still work quite well because I do not install any program that I am asked on (like big compilation tools :mrgreen: ) and for security issues, I only update the browser and I do not host any services

My laptops are of a similar vintage.

I think, on the Linux front, using a lightweight desktop is crucial for older devices, such as XFCE.

I did the vast majority of my OS dev on:

• Lenovo Thinkpad T61 - Circa 2009
  • Toshiba T130 - Core2 Solo

I've since "graduated" to a Thinkpad T420, from about 2012, and I'm sticking with that mainly because modern laptop keyboards are absolutely crap, but ddr3 RAM is so cheap these days on the likes of ebay that it is perfectly reasonable to keep the older laptops functional if you can upgrade the RAM. 4GB is a reasonable minimum, with 8GB being more than enough for my OSDEV use (I don't need big VMs, I test using a 12MB RAM QEMU VM.)

I guess if you're keeping at least your browser up to date, you should be reasonably OK, especially on Linux, but as the browser is basically the heaviest weight single app on a modern desktop, if you're running the latest browsers on your machine, there is no reason not to run the latest Fedora release as well anyway.

My 2c.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:20 pm 

thewrongchristian wrote:
nlg wrote:

My laptops are of a similar vintage.

I think, on the Linux front, using a lightweight desktop is crucial for older devices, such as XFCE.

I did the vast majority of my OS dev on:

• Lenovo Thinkpad T61 - Circa 2009
  • Toshiba T130 - Core2 Solo

I've since "graduated" to a Thinkpad T420, from about 2012, and I'm sticking with that mainly because modern laptop keyboards are absolutely crap, but ddr3 RAM is so cheap these days on the likes of ebay that it is perfectly reasonable to keep the older laptops functional if you can upgrade the RAM. 4GB is a reasonable minimum, with 8GB being more than enough for my OSDEV use (I don't need big VMs, I test using a 12MB RAM QEMU VM.)

I guess if you're keeping at least your browser up to date, you should be reasonably OK, especially on Linux, but as the browser is basically the heaviest weight single app on a modern desktop, if you're running the latest browsers on your machine, there is no reason not to run the latest Fedora release as well anyway.

My 2c.

If you want good quality computers (high-quality really) with good keyboards, checkout System76 if you haven't already. Their computers can get pretty pricey, but its well worth the investment.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:39 pm 

nlg wrote:
it's because I have old computers (2008 & 2011) which would get way too slow with newer OS.

Install an SSD. Windows 10 runs perfectly fine on a laptop from 2008 with an SSD. (Granted, it was a pretty high-end laptop at the time. Your results may vary.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:31 am 

Octocontrabass wrote:
nlg wrote:
it's because I have old computers (2008 & 2011) which would get way too slow with newer OS.

Install an SSD. Windows 10 runs perfectly fine on a laptop from 2008 with an SSD. (Granted, it was a pretty high-end laptop at the time. Your results may vary.)

With an SSD, I ran Win10 well enough on a cheap laptop from 2008; a Thinkpad R400. :) That was 3 or 4 years ago. Up to the present, I run Win10 on a 2013 mainstream laptop with a HDD; a Thinkpad T440. It's mostly bearable but the "lock screen" is one of the more heavyweight programs on the machine. If you suspend it with maybe 6 open tabs in Firefox, resuming is not fun at all. But honestly, 6 tabs is remarkable; I used to think 2 was pushing it on those laptops. Both machines have 2GB RAM. I think RAM size is by far the most important factor in all this and will probably take the wrongchristian's advice to buy more while it's cheap.

(I just found screensaver settings in Win10! I don't believe it! :lol: It's linked at the bottom of the lock screen settings.)