OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The Cadex OS - A free Unix-like OS
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:01 am 

This project is no longer developed.

Last edited by mrosdev on Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The Cadex OS - A free Unix-like OS
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:28 am 

Gee, what a pitch. The PM with exactly the same text, ostensibly replying to an old thread but not really, was a nice touch. If you can't tell, that was sarcasm. No, I will not join your project. If you have an actual question, ask and it may be answered. This isn't about me being busy, this is about you being too pushy. The very first thing I saw about your OS was a plea for help. Then I went and had a look at it and it looks like you're handling yourself pretty well so far, so what the hell could I add?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:18 pm 

nullplan wrote:
...If you have an actual question, ask and it may be answered...Then I went and had a look at it and it looks like you're handling yourself pretty well so far, so what the hell could I add?

Bad news: I second that. And I'm actually busy though I might seem I am not.

Good news: Your OS is quite far. Nice! :)

Greetings
Peter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:03 am 

nullplan wrote:
Gee, what a pitch. The PM with exactly the same text, ostensibly replying to an old thread but not really, was a nice touch. If you can't tell, that was sarcasm. No, I will not join your project. If you have an actual question, ask and it may be answered. This isn't about me being busy, this is about you being too pushy. The very first thing I saw about your OS was a plea for help. Then I went and had a look at it and it looks like you're handling yourself pretty well so far, so what the hell could I add?

Sorry, I don't know much English, but I understood nothing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:05 am 

nullplan wrote:

Oh really? I just copy-pasted all the code and it worked.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:58 am 

PeterX wrote:
nullplan wrote:
...If you have an actual question, ask and it may be answered...Then I went and had a look at it and it looks like you're handling yourself pretty well so far, so what the hell could I add?

Bad news: I second that. And I'm actually busy though I might seem I am not.

Good news: Your OS is quite far. Nice! :)

Greetings
Peter

I would second all that and add, that I’m only interested in contributing to projects which are doing something unusual... This is my hobby and making a yauc (Yet Another Unix Clone, I pronounce that with a hard c) doesn’t fill me with excitement.

CuriOS: A single address space GUI based operating system built upon a fairly pure Microkernel/Nanokernel. Download latest bootable x86 Disk Image: https://github.com/h5n1xp/CuriOS/blob/main/disk.img.zip
Discord:https://discord.gg/zn2vV2Su

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:50 pm 

A few things:

1. As a forum moderator, I am going to ask you to refrain from sending unsolicited PMs to other members trying to recruit them for your project. Most of our members are not interested and do not appreciate receiving such PMs.
2. I downloaded the latest release image from your Github releases, but I can't seem to figure out what username/password I should be using to log in, so I am stuck at the authentication prompt. I looked at the repository and the /etc/passwd suggested "root"/"password", but this didn't work.
3. Some of the images in your original post are no longer available; I suggest you find a more suitable image host.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:54 am 

Looks like you copied most of the code from https://github.com/dthain/basekernel

Quote:
A hobby operating system that was written from scratch

So yeah, that's not true, is it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:15 am 

dseller wrote:
Looks like you copied most of the code from https://github.com/dthain/basekernel

Yea. I didn't copy it. I cloned the source code, modified some things, and made a repo, and added the source to that repo. That's how that project started. It has some parts source code from over 23 projects that I found on GitHub. As I said, everything is "Duct-Von-Taped" together.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:34 am 

mrosdev wrote:
Yea. I didn't copy it. I cloned the source code, modified some things, and made a repo, and added the source to that repo. That's how that project started. It has some parts source code from over 23 projects that I found on GitHub. As I said, everything is "Duct-Von-Taped" together.

I have noticed that several source files in your repository bear a striking resemblance to my own, yet there are no references to myself, other contributors to my project, nor the copyright notices or license for that project. This is known as copyright infringement.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:41 am 

klange wrote:
I downloaded the latest release image from your Github releases, but I can't seem to figure out what username/password I should be using to log in, so I am stuck at the authentication prompt. I looked at the repository and the /etc/passwd suggested "root"/"password", but this didn't work.

Download the ISO image of the latest release from https://github.com/CadexOS/Cadex-OS-Official/releases.
Run it on QEMU using
Code:
qemu-system-i386 -cdrom cadexos-<version>.iso -m size=500M -serial stdio --no-acpi -no-reboot -device vmware-svga -soundhw pcspk,sb16,adlib

The username is root and there is no password. If you experience any problems when running any app or commands, open an issue on GitHub.

Some tips and tricks:
  • You can run the 'hidden' splash screen by ./bin/splash.exe
  • Type `dim' to open the DiM text editor.
  • The DiM text editor was inspired by ToAruOS's bim text editor.

BTW klange, the password isn't stored in /etc/passwd. It's stored as a local variable in the kshell (The shell you see after you log in to the system)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:58 am 

mrosdev wrote:
[*] Type `dim' to open the DiM text editor.
[*] The DiM text editor was inspired by ToAruOS's bim text editor.[/list]

Normally I would find that flattering, but in this instance I consider it insulting. First you steal my source code without the required attribution, and then you dare to claim my text editor is your inspiration?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:59 am 

I notice that you are still claiming copyright on material that belongs to someone else, despite this having been pointed out to you. This might have been dismissed as an oversight before you were made aware of it, but now it is simple, plain plagiarism. As such you are not only a despicable person but you are laying yourself open to legal action. No-one with any self-respect would copy code from someone else's work and then claim it as their own.

If you don't have the ability to write your own code at least acknowledge the source that you have stolen the code from. My first thought was that you should be banned from these forums but, on reflection, I think it better to leave you here so that everyone can be made aware of your actions. I hope that any potential future employer reads this thread.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:05 am 

klange wrote:
First you steal my source code without the required attribution, and then you dare to claim my text editor is your inspiration?

I didn't steal anyone source code. I made out the editor myself. Only the name is like bim but everything else is written by me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:06 am 

iansjack wrote:
I notice that you are still claiming copyright on material that belongs to someone else, despite this having been pointed out to you. This might have been dismissed as an oversight before you were made aware of it, but now it is simple, plain plagiarism. As such you are not only a despicable person but you are laying yourself open to legal action. No-one with any self-respect would copy code from someone else's work and then claim it as their own.

If you don't have the ability to write your own code at least acknowledge the source that you have stolen the code from. My first thought was that you should be banned from these forums but, on reflection, I think it better to leave you here so that everyone can be made aware of your actions. I hope that any potential future employer reads this thread.

So, what should I do now? Should I delete this project or just change all copyright headers to the original one?