OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: PonyOS 6.0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:17 pm 

In these difficult times, I hope that I can bring some levity by announcing, after a year's delay and much anticipation, the release of PonyOS 6.0

Normally, I would Fools this up and claim that PonyOS is an independent OS project (designed for everypony!) and brush over the fact that it's really just re-skin of ToaruOS, but as the Internet at large has been pushing back against April Fools jokes due to the ongoing crisis, I'll instead present PonyOS for what it really is: A lighthearted special release demonstrating all the new features in upstream ToaruOS in a considerably pinker package. This PonyOS finally brings some of the biggest changes in ToaruOS to the Hasbro-inspired distribution, including two years of work towards an entirely in-house core build. Two ISOs are available from the Github Releases page: One with our hand-made bootloader, and one with Grub. While the Grub one is likely to prove more capable (especially on real hardware), the "core" release contains only original software from myself and my contributors. That means a brand new libc, replacing newlib that shipped in PonyOS 5.0, a complete rewrite of the desktop from the Python prototypes into much speedier C applications, and a much more functional text editor in the latest build of Bim. On top of this "artisanal" core, third-party favorites from PonyOS 5 are still available from the package manager, including ponysay and Quake.

Downloads are available from Github
ponyos.org

Post subject: Re: PonyOS 6.0
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:01 am 

Oh, it's April 1st already? :-)
Good job btw!

Cheers,
bzt