OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: My New OS - GrapeOS
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:49 am 

Hey everyone. I have just started an operating system project called GrapeOS. I have a github website for it, and you can check it out at https://grape-os.github.io. Here are my goals of the project:
- Have a very minimal kernel
- Have a vesa 1024x768 24bpp driver -- NOT 32 BPP!
- Have my own filesystem
- Network and USB support
- Written entirely in assembly language

Thank you for reading, and have a nice day
GrapeOS

Post subject: Re: My New OS - GrapeOS
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:23 am 

Hi and welcome to the loveliest community on the internet. There are a few things I'd like to say.
First, announcements like these go in the Announcements sub-forum. This OSDev sub-forum is for questions regarding OS implementation.

Second, it's better not to write an entire OS in assembly language. I've done it before, and while writing assembly can be really easy if you're fluent in it, it gets cluttered quickly, especially with big code like networking and USB, like you say you want. So don't make the same mistakes others have made.

Third, VESA is just a group of BIOS functions for setting display resolution. You shouldn't depend on 1024x768. There are PCs where 1024x768 is not present, and other PCs where the optimal resolution is different. Instead, use EDID to detect the optimal resolution for VESA. On top of that, the screen resolution is irrelevant to your future GUI, because it should be resolution-independent. 32bpp is also better than 24bpp, because it's faster due to DWORD-alignment.

Fourth and finally, making your own file system is not recommended unless you can provide some real advantage to existing file systems, like FAT or ext. Again, take it from someone who has done it before and don't make the same mistakes others have made.

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: My New OS - GrapeOS
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:18 pm 

You could use BMFS and have a fully functional file system. It's very easy to port.