OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: AQUA OS 1.4:"File system", 3D engine,new apps and much more!
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:18 am 

Hello all!

First time I got a subject so big that I had to remove some spaces :P
Today I am pleased to announce the release of AQUA OS! This is probably the biggest and most stable update yet to the AQUA. You can download the .iso on my website to test it:

https://obiwac.wordpress.com/aqua-os/

Please report any bugs that you encounter. Thanks in advance!
Here is a complete change log:

+ "File system": Not really a file system. More like disk access.
+ 3D engine: A new engine for making apps in 3D (NOTE: not available for AQUA Script yet).
* Random laser game revamp: Random laser game has been revamped to be in 3D. Move around with the WASD keys, U / J for up / down, Z / X for bloom, C / V for transparency and E to exit.
- Shell application: Has been replaced by settings.
+ Settings application: Replaces the shell application. You can now customize your AQUA with two options. Or you can reformat the disk if you want.
* Saving scripts: You can now save / load scripts in the text editor. They also save in a new application, "My script", which runs the script currently stored on the hard drive.
+ New My script application: Located under the "My tab" tab, this application runs the script currently stored on the hard drive.
+ New run dialog: By pressing space on the desktop, you can access the run dialog, where you can enter one of two commands; shutdown or crash.
+ Serial driver: New commands added to AQUA Script allow for serial communication.
+ Driver commands: You can now make drivers in AQUA Script with the new system commands.
- All known crash bugs: This is the most stable version of AQUA. If you discover any crash bugs, please report them, so that they can be fixed in AQUA 1.4 ( b ).

Enjoy! and thanks for trying it out!

Post subject: Re: AQUA OS 1.4:"File system", 3D engine,new apps and much m
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:14 am 

I tested your OS and it is seems more stable than last time. The GUI of your OS works smooth.
I encountered issues when running several programs after each other, for example at one point I tried to run the "My notepad" application and I couldn't use my enter key anymore. Also when I tried to open the "about" application after that, the screen corrupted. Also, moving your mouse too far to the right causes the mouse cursor to distort.
It told me I had to format my drive although there was no drive attached to the VM (but looking in the log it tells me "error detecting drive signature")
So overall, there are some bugs that you might want to fix, the GUI looks nice and works smooth. So keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:37 am 

Your kernel.bin is unstripped - consider stripping it to save some space (of course unless you have some legitimate use for symbols in a release build, e.g. stack tracing). Also, as proved on the osdev Discord, because of this reverse-engeneering is a very easy task because of this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:31 am 

thanks!