OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: insider info on kernel/OS development career
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:24 pm 

Past 6-7 years I had lot of exposure to firmware x86 BIOS and some UEFI, I liked working in the field. However, lack of learning curve in the interest of my field specially in the os kernel development and multi-tasking concepts was reason I am considering to move higher in the software layer. After all, x86 bios rarely goes to protected mode environment and does more complicated process management stuff, it mostly concerned in configuring hardwares and tons of memory tables which I am kinda getting tired to work with. At least the companies I worked with did not do that much.

I started pet projects on minix kernel development, real working kernel from the scratch up using materials and resources at hand. Once completed or toward compeltion, I think I will have a substantial hands-on experience. What I am aiming is to become not only proficient but hands-on following principles:
multitasking
task switching
x86 protected mode, IDT,
kernel and user space
tash scheduling
issues in multitasking: race condition
and hopefully in RTOS concepts.

But if I wanted to enter this field, I am wondering how is the job market for this skills? What is the entry barrier? What is the recommended minimum skills?

In the bios field, there are always some opening, the market itself i think is not big, i heard someone saying before couple of hundred millions (I could be wrong), but there are always needs for this skills. Person with BIOS and other firmware dev experience can work in the any tech companies that indirectly or directly involving in server/PC hardware, including but not limited to:

- AMI (american megatrends, Phoenix technologies and some vendor buys from these core vendors and does do a further dev work in-house or continue buying from these companies both of which means IMO there are always opportunities available in companies like Cisco, HP, Vmware, SuperMicro etc.,

I am wondering what is the better opportunities for the one with kernel developement? What companies are the best or decent to work for? And salarywise, how it is compared to other software engineering: i.e. web, app development etc.,

key takeaway after spending yrs on sw industry: big issue small because everyone jumps on it and fixes it. small issue is big since everyone ignores and it causes catastrophy later. #devilisinthedetails