OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Special IDE specially designed for OS Developers!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:59 am 

Well, seems like it works indeed. I guess Dash compiles to ASM or something, tho I haven't been able to find any docs on the language itself. I guess you should try to upgrade the GUI a bit, otherwise it seems nice! Also make default font Monospace - it doesn't hurt your eyes!

http://bestsoft.azurewebsites.net/ wrote:
With Bestsoft Space you can write operating system eaven if it your first software.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:00 am 

muazzam wrote:
I have seen this on their website:
http://bestsoft.azurewebsites.net/bestsoft-space/ wrote:
Code:
        [...]
kk:
        call kk
        cmp eax, 4
        [...]

I think they are poor OS developers. They even does not know this cause stack overflow.

This code is used just for testing. It just sample of how it works. Bestsoft Space is still beta version.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:21 am 

sortie wrote:
I'm absolutely uninterested in this, to extent I think I should explain why.

You cannot use this software on your own personal operating system, without significant work porting a Java Runtime. (I'm very far, and even that is well beyond me at this time. Perhaps in a year or two.) If you do serious operating systems development, you want to become self-hosting. Relying on an difficult to port host tools makes it much harder to become truly self-hosting. Pick your tools and development environment so you can port them.

Reading the source code, it looks like a small low quality Java project. The interface is filled with typos. The handling of exceptions seems to be printing a stack trace and carrying on. The source code seems to be suspiciously small. I don't think it's all of the source code in the download? You also seem to ship a copy of nasm, instead of using the one from the distribution. The sloppy indention suggest sloppy coding. The update code worries me. The publish code in Mian.java (you know how to spell right?) is also suspicious. It has a 2000 milisecond wait for no second. Don't know how to wait for processes to finish or want to seem more professional by having long build times? You hard-code the paths of tools that should be in the path.

It doesn't seem malicious, but the project is very unimpressive and no one will want to use it as it. Java user interfaces also tend to be abysmal.

I like the website. The first thing I see is:
Code:
Hey.

Welcome to Bestsoft Space for Linux /p>

I think that sums up my opinion.

Btw: Don't take my harsh words personally. I criticize code, not people. I'm an experienced developer and have high standards and hold the software I use to the same standards. You can do better, much better. You're trying to be professional here, which is good, but you are only pretending to be professional, you're not being professional. Do you actually expect osdevers to use your software? You're an aspiring developer, I assume, but you might currently be suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect, where you overestimate your skills and underestimate how much you have to learn. That's okay, most people do that, but it helps being aware.

If you'd like to improve, tell us, and we can arrange reading through your source code and giving detailed criticism.

Your criticize is on place and all is true about Bestsoft Space IDE. It have many bugs but Bestsoft working on fixing it. It is just beta version. It is still not for official use.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:33 am 

Quote:
Redy for recording screen? Try it out now with 100% free screen recorder Bestsoft Shadow. Make your turorials or gameplys better. Bestsoft Shadow is designed for you!

Maybe you should try to get your (and your team's) English skills to a level so that it doesn't make your Website look like a place to download malicius software. Especially the way your screen recorder is presented is very suspicious.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:11 am 

no92 wrote:
Quote:
Redy for recording screen? Try it out now with 100% free screen recorder Bestsoft Shadow. Make your turorials or gameplys better. Bestsoft Shadow is designed for you!

Maybe you should try to get your (and your team's) English skills to a level so that it doesn't make your Website look like a place to download malicius software. Especially the way your screen recorder is presented is very suspicious.

See also:
With Bestsoft Space you can write operating system eaven if it your first software.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:14 am 

muazzam wrote:
no92 wrote:
Quote:

See also:
Yeah, sure. See also:
muazzam wrote:
I think they are poor OS developers. They even does not know this cause stack overflow.
You guys here should not judge others based on their english skills. Especially not you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:25 am 

max wrote:
here should not judge others based on their english skills. Especially not you.

OK, I know my English is bad. But I am not representing a company. They are professional, so, their English should be good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:36 am 

muazzam wrote:
max wrote:
here should not judge others based on their english skills. Especially not you.

OK, I know my English is bad. But I am not representing a company. They are professional, so, their English should be good.

Sorry, I didn't consider the point that they are trying to represent a company. In that case you are totally right.
Btw, I don't think your english is bad for a non-english person of your age ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:11 pm 

max wrote:
Btw, I don't think your english is bad for a non-english person of your age ;)

Both of you write English far better than most Americans who learn English as their first language.

The name is fitting: Century Hobby OS -- At this rate, it's gonna take me that long!
Read about my mistakes and missteps with this iteration: Journal

"Sometimes things just don't make sense until you figure them out." -- Phil Stahlheber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:58 pm 

eryjus wrote:
Both of you write English far better than most Americans who learn English as their first language.

Because non English people are more sensitive to every word they write.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:28 am 

sortie wrote:
If you'd like to improve, tell us, and we can arrange reading through your source code and giving detailed criticism.

I wonder if an external code review could act as my 4DX commitment. (Corporate programming joke.)

Last edited by AndrewAPrice on Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:21 am 

eryjus wrote:
That sentence is requesting a rant about americans in general ... but I won't do it here, not this time.

Noticably, most people here are pretty good at english, ignoring a few that just refuse to learn it before posting here (take the OP as an example). It's a lot worse on other, bigger forums. I recall visiting the GMC the first time - I was shocked about how rude not just a few, but a lot of people behave there. If you'd make a scale about the average stupidness, we'd probably take the first place - when ranking in ascending order.