OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Vector OS
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:28 am 

Last edited by BrightLight on Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: ZeroOS
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:48 pm 

Hello omarrx024,

nice work! Just tried it out, all the functions I tried worked flawless. Nice work with the image viewer, too.
What kind of OS model are you planning for the future? Will it stay monolithic, will you go protected mode, what are your goals?

Keep up the good work!
Greets,
Max

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:39 pm 

max wrote:
Hello omarrx024,

nice work! Just tried it out, all the functions I tried worked flawless. Nice work with the image viewer, too.
What kind of OS model are you planning for the future? Will it stay monolithic, will you go protected mode, what are your goals?

Keep up the good work!
Greets,
Max

Hey! Thanks a lot for the feedback and the compliment! My OS will stay in real mode, though it uses A20 to access "high memory." And it will always be monolithic, best design in my opinion "just an opinion!"
My goals now are harddisk instead of floppy and my own filesystem . then i will work on graphics based on the image viewer!
Thanks for trying ZeroOS! Your feedback is much appreciated. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:30 pm 

Trying to get the type of IMAGE.BMP results in hanging the system.

Attachments:
Снимок экрана 2015-01-08 в 0.24.33.png
Снимок экрана 2015-01-08 в 0.24.33.png [ 86.58 KiB | Viewed 10011 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:56 pm 

Roman wrote:
Trying to get the type of IMAGE.BMP results in hanging the system.

@Roman mmmm... Never seen that bug before.. :!: :?:
But anyways thanks for trying it out and for letting me know about the bug! I'd better get to work then! :)
How about the other features? Did the text file viewer and image viewer work fine? Thanks for letting me know! :)

EDIT: This is a very stupid bug! The program loads the file to 9000h and verifies the type. Well a BMP file is too big to fit in 9000h and so it overflows. My dumb mistakes! I now fixed it and it loads files to 0xFFFF:0x10 which is 1 MB ...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:25 pm 

I think you withhold the source code for the wrong reasons. I've seen this happen a few times. I wrote a wiki article on this: http://wiki.osdev.org/User:Sortie/Naively_Closed_Source

Please reconsider whether you publicly withhold the source code for the right reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:50 pm 

sortie wrote:
I think you withhold the source code for the wrong reasons. I've seen this happen a few times. I wrote a wiki article on this: http://wiki.osdev.org/User:Sortie/Naively_Closed_Source

Please reconsider whether you publicly withhold the source code for the right reasons.

I'm well aware of what I'm doing and I want my project closed source, except the applications.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:04 pm 

Everything else seems to work properly. Except for txtview, which doesn't support scrolling up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:35 am 

Roman wrote:
Everything else seems to work properly. Except for txtview, which doesn't support scrolling up.

Yes, I'm working on that. To scroll up, I need to know how many bytes to go up (I load text files to 0x9000) but I'm still figuring out a way to do it... :)

Post subject: Vector OS
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:29 pm 

Hello, I'm happy to announce Vector OS, which is ZeroOS with extended features.
Vector OS has the same code base as ZeroOS, but it will support VESA, hard disks and a custom filesystem "VectFS". I will release the specifications of the filesystem soon! :)
What's more, Vector OS unlike ZeroOS will be COMPLETELY open source on GitHub! It will have a two week alpha release cycle, so on the 15th January, depending on how much it can do by then, Vector OS will make a release, as source, binary and disk image! :)
Most of my work today was on making specifications and diagrams. I also wrote the boot sector code and it's on GitHub. Tomorrow, I'll start work on the kernel. :)

Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:06 am 

Vector OS is now working entirely in its own custom VectFS filesystem and it boots from hard disks and USB sticks.
Here is a demonstration of its dir, cat and echo commands. The complete source is available at http://github.com/omarrx024/vector!
The system API is mostly similar to ZeroOS but with some new features, like operations on strings.
Please PM me for suggestions or anything!

Attachments:
File comment: Demonstration of cat, dir and echo commands.
cat, dir and echo.PNG
cat, dir and echo.PNG [ 47.72 KiB | Viewed 9701 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:37 am 

Nice, congratulations. What is the difference between ZeroOS and VectorOS, they are both 16-bit right?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:46 am 

It would be better to have the "dir" command as a program like the others. Just my choice though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:06 am 

bubach wrote:
Nice, congratulations. What is the difference between ZeroOS and VectorOS, they are both 16-bit right?

Thanks a lot! Yes both are 16-bit systems, but ZeroOS boots from floppy disks and uses FAT12. VectorOS has a richer API and uses a custom filesystem I invented which I call Vector Filesystem "VectFS". In pretty much most of the things, VectorOS is a fork of ZeroOS. And also, VectorOS boots from hard disks and USB sticks, unlike ZeroOS. :)

Last edited by BrightLight on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:07 am 

Bender wrote:
It would be better to have the "dir" command as a program like the others. Just my choice though.

In my opinion, "dir" is something that is important to the core,, anyways if a user doesn't like my dir command or justs wants to write a "dir" program, they can use the kernel's filesystem calls to make their own. :)