OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: I'm looking to recruit developers for a startup company.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:37 am 
SonyQrio wrote:
I'm not asking for free labor, nor am I making this a community project. I'm more than willing to compensate anyone for their efforts once and if the company is successful.

95% of startups fail. So there is 0.95 probability you will be unable to compensate anything. This means any participant most likely will experience some kind of community projects, but with the NDA appendix.

There are two ways - to pay or to motivate in another way. You have chosen the second way. The success probability of the chosen way is low. But if you flood a lot of forums with your proposal may be somebody will answer. The first way (the money) can succeed with much greater probability.

Just some math, nothing personal.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:52 am 

As you have current employees then you are presumably compensating them (isn't that what being an employee means?). But you are trying to recruit collaberators here who will only get paid if the company is successful. That seems a little unfair.

My take would be that if you haven't managed to raise enough capital to provide adequate compensation to those working on the project then it is unlikely to be a commercial success. Again, no criticism intended; it's just a simple business fact.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:57 am 

Some facts to consider, if you can trust what's online, of course... I've googled things up a little bit.

There is no trace of a company by the name Flipper Engineering that does this kind of business. Some kind of private partnership, I suppose, or nothing at all on paper?

The company's web site is down since November (if I understand the WHOIS info correctly).

I have found online only two people mentioning Flipper Engineering as a place where they work/have worked, the OP and, presumably, a friend of his, who, if we can believe the info, is simultaneously in business of pool supplies sales, handyman services and web server administration. The OP is in high school and said friend has recently graduated from high school.

This is not to make fun of anyone, just some food for thought.

I'm not providing direct links. I believe, anyone knowing basic google-foo can find this info as well.