OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: ASCII Enthusiasts Programming Competition
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:45 pm 

1) why do I need good rules, It is for the fun of it.
2) so allowing the users to choose the best is a bad thing? I understand that many other game and programming jams are coordinated like this.
3) why is there a need for a goal? It is for the fun.
4) Much of the new site was rushed because the original site was hacked so that can be fixed.
5) I am embarrased mainly by what happened to the site, other forums seem to be fine with the jam so far.
6) I don't think that website problems can be avoided.
7) I probably do contradict myself, but I am busy at the moment so could you point these out?
8. What is wrong with posting about it on a dwarf fortress forum? this is where it gestated.
9) If you claim to know everything I have written, have you noticed this starts in 3 1/2 weeks?

I understand you may have issues with this but I don't think that calling it 'a joke, or just sad' is helping much. Age isn't relevant, I don't believe I lack these skills because I have at least been able to get people to join this and have collaborated with some other people on this. Overall, I thought this was a good idea because It was a bit of fun.

You are more than welcome to your opinion, but in the end shouldn't the community choose?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:00 pm 

If there's no real competition, then name the event appropriately, there are better and less confusing words for that, e.g. fair.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:00 pm 

I see your point. Many of the fairs I have been to have had a quite competitive atmosphere to them, although not in the same sense as competition.

I suppose I didn't bank on people misinterpreting the message, although there is still an aspect of competition in the form of voting at the end.