OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Announcing your OS to friends and familly
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:42 pm 

jojo wrote:
EDIT: Ahhh sh*t. Got here from checking out what was fresh and didn't even pay attention to the fact that I'm chaining onto an old thread. What a fool.
Never mind, it's still good advice. :-)
jojo wrote:
Even if it makes them realize that they're never getting grandchildren.
There's been a bit of a recurring joke in this thread about OSdevving and grandchildren, but I don't get it. Would anyone care to explain why developing an OS implies that one will not have children?

Syntax checkup:
Wrong: OS's, IRQ's, zero'ing
Right: OSes, IRQs, zeroing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:49 pm 

Quote:
There's been a bit of a recurring joke in this thread about OSdevving and grandchildren, but I don't get it. Would anyone care to explain why developing an OS implies that one will not have children?
It's not just osdev. Seriously, any time consuming selfish hobby == contraceptive.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:55 pm 

Also there's the common thought that those who would spend their free time writing code so incredibly complex as an operating system are unable to be productive social members of society, and are therefore highly unlikely to procreate. In actuality, many of us just aren't interested in having children, and just really like programming.

Stereotypes are damning.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:25 am 

Th irony of that joke, in my case, being that I'm too busy spending time with my girlfriend, among other things, to spend much time working on the nerdy sh*t of late. Which is fine, for the most part I'll take intimacy over most other things any day. But I'm about to move in with her in a month and I do have this mild irrational fear that I'll never get back to this stuff because I'll get so spoiled on being able to spend all my time with her.

On top of that, I managed to get a lot of work done the last couple of years because things were super lax at my last job. But the new job I've been at for about a month here is quite corporate and has a 'no installing superfluous stuff without approval' policy. I've been gently skirting that with web ssh clients to spend some of my day learning Rust. But I'd like to spend any downtime I have doing OS dev still.

Actually, I think it could be really cool to set up PCjs and my build environment to enable my build to dump my binaries into a custom PCjs disk image that I can then access on the HTTP side, so that's a potential project.

...this rant ended up having nothing to do with anything

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:46 am 

jojo wrote:
But the new job I've been at for about a month here is quite corporate and has a 'no installing superfluous stuff without approval' policy. I've been gently skirting that with web ssh clients to spend some of my day learning Rust. But I'd like to spend any downtime I have doing OS dev still.
I've you've got SSH access to your home computer can't you still OSdev at work? Also why use a web client? At college the computers don't let us install anything, but I can run portable SSH clients from my flash drive, and I use port 443 to get around the firewall.

Syntax checkup:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:42 am 

Hi,

onlyonemac wrote:
glauxosdever wrote:
In his opinion, it's still playing games, since I don't get paid.
Funny that that's his definition of "playing games". Sorry if I'm wrong, but aren't you too young to work anyway? (Or at least, too young to have finished studying and gotten a proper job.)
That's because I tell him I'm working, so I don't start saying details he doesn't care about.

Don't forget all he does himself now is playing Mahjong and Solitaire.

Regards,
glauxosdever

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:45 am 

OS development is playing games in my book. Why else would I bother? Nothing wrong with play.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:55 am 

iansjack: +1

onlyonemac:
It's not the coding that's the problem, it's the execution. Their work systems don't exactly come with VirtualBox.

I probably could install putty or VBox on my work system, but in my case, instead of getting some kind of academic disciplinary action, I get sacked and have to figure out how to pull Queens rent out of my @$$ until I can land another gig with a black mark on my record.

Risks kind of outweigh the rewards on that one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:21 am 

As long as your OS is usable with text mode and/or serial console, you could run qemu remotely over your SSH connection even without X forwarding.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:07 am 

jojo wrote:
It's not the coding that's the problem, it's the execution. Their work systems don't exactly come with VirtualBox.
I tunnel VNC connections over SSH. With the right settings, they're perfectly usable even over a mediocre internet connection, and TightVNC viewer (at least I think it was that one) was available on portableapps.com. (I still use VNC for keyboard input, but I also have to tunnel an audio loopback device to a local instance of VLC media player running on my phone to get audio output from my screenreader - the latency does suck, by the way.)

Also I believe that VirtualBox has some kind of built-in graphical server, which could also be tunnelled to a local client.

Syntax checkup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:21 am 

Hi,

iansjack wrote:
OS development is playing games in my book. Why else would I bother? Nothing wrong with play.
Obviously, nothing wrong with playing. But the altitude of my dad makes playing look bad.

Regards,
glauxosdever

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:26 am 

glauxosdever, it's your dad's job to make sure that you are able to earn a living to support you and your future family. From that point of view, play is bad. Don't worry too much about it. I'm pretty sure I do the same with my kids.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:37 am 

My family knows about that. My father likes my work and gives ideas, but my OS isn't interesting for my mother.

OSDev newbies can copy any code from my repositories, just leave a notice that this code was written by U365 development team, not by you.