OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Mobile OS Project?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:04 pm 

Hello everyone, I will try to create a Mobile Operation System (touch) but not alone.

So what is my special idea :
    When you have created something new in your phone (document, story, winning a game, and more) you can share it on Social network (Facebook, Google+, Twitter, and more) with just one click.

That is my special idea.

But this project is a Recreational Project.

And i am from Denmark so i am not 100% good to English.

Skype is required.

If you want to send me a email : [email protected] or [email protected] are you welcome :).

Oh and if you not have a microphone please write it on skype.

EDIT:
This is also a learning project so you don't need to know everything we will all try so good we can.

Have a great day / night :D.

Post subject: Re: Mobile OS Project?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:50 am 

For what device do you want to develop? Do you have it or will you use an emulator? Some more information would be great, but I (personally) think you won't get anybody to help you, as mobile platforms are not that common in OSDeving (I mean less than maybe 10%) It's hard to even get someone to work on an OS for the x86 architecture. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:34 pm 

ZinXan wrote:
When you have created something new in your phone (document, story, winning a game, and more) you can share it on Social network (Facebook, Google+, Twitter, and more) with just one click.

You want to build an entire Operating System, just for this program?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:51 pm 

ZinXan wrote:
When you have created something new in your phone (document, story, winning a game, and more) you can share it on Social network (Facebook, Google+, Twitter, and more) with just one click
That is my special idea.

I don't want you think I'm belittling your idea, but do you really think that special idea justifies a new OS? :-k

For me it sounds more like a program feature (text editor, camera app, etc). Maybe you can provide some API on OS level, but I believe that Android and iOS already provide something like this.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:40 pm 

No it's not, I just take some examples, if you want to get more information about Functions and all that stuff please send me a mail, or add me on skype.

And there will also be a new way to use the mobile on. But I don't want anyone can see my idea.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:45 pm 

You may wish to see if any of the wiki's recruitment advise applies to you:

http://wiki.osdev.org/Beginner_Mistakes#Recruiting

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:50 pm 

sortie wrote:
You may wish to see if any of the wiki's recruitment advise applies to you:

http://wiki.osdev.org/Beginner_Mistakes#Recruiting

Thank you but I have look at this page before.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:30 pm 

So which of the four points listed there do you think doesn't apply to you? From where I'm standing it looks like you fail all four; this means it is going to be extremely difficult for you to persuade anyone to join you who will make a significant contribution.

Without wishing to be rude it sounds as if you have a very vague idea of what you want to do, but no concept of how to implement it or even which platform you are going to implement it on. Bear in mind that not all mobile devices are created equal. You might have more luck if you come back with detailed specifications or , better still, an established code base. You may then get some helpers (but it's still a very long shot).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:38 am 

Are you sure? Mobile Platform is is huge area to cover up, There are so many vendors out there who have made it a complete mess. By mobile platforms I assume that you are programming for ARM. Do you have enough experience with the ARM Architecture (or whatever you prefer), The documentation for ARM is simply nothing in front if the literally over-documented x86 processors. As for you idea, it's not easy to achieve that.
Google; Facebook; Sharing etc. Don't even come to a system's programmer's mind until they have proper network card drivers. Writing fully capable network drivers isn't easy, Just grab a document about your favourite NIC (Mine is RTL8139) and you'll find that there are so many concepts to cover up.
Also,
Remember most of the people in this community have their own projects, so don't expect them to be working with you. However you may get some help from them.
Plus, As iansjack pointed out you need to have a well established base before recruiting anyone. Even if you have it there is only a little chance that people will work for you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:14 am 

ZinXan wrote:
No it's not, I just take some examples, if you want to get more information about Functions and all that stuff please send me a mail, or add me on skype.
And there will also be a new way to use the mobile on. But I don't want anyone can see my idea.

Note that, while I'm not a lawyer, but without officially signed NDA or similar terms, telling a random person over email or skype technically equal to expose your idea to the public world, and affect your tools with legal protections.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:40 am 

Trying to hide your idea is not what free/open source software is about. It's about sharing your idea (the opposite of what you want to do). If you will do it closed source, nobody will even take notice of it (seriously, nobody is interested in a closed source OS in this community, correct me if I'm wrong).

As said above, your goal is ambitious and you have no experience with this topic. I don't think anybody will join you.

Start with an easy goal for the x86 architecture (if you haven't done so). After that you should know that OS development is hard. Really hard.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:11 pm 

no92 wrote:
seriously, nobody is interested in a closed source OS in this community, correct me if I'm wrong

This is not true. Free/open source software tends to be more popular but I think this forum is not totally devoted to it.

no92 (signature) wrote:
OSdeving on Windows? Seriously?

Some time ago there was a link to a Linus criticism of C++ on this forum. I am starting to believe that using Windows as a development platform has a big advantage. "Even if the choice of Windows were to do nothing but keep Unix-only programmers out, that in itself would be a huge reason to use Windows."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:09 pm 

I apologize the previous semi-offtopic note. As an ontopic note, ZinXan, you should try to create more marketing material to raise interest in your project. It is a rude fact that currently it might not get attention because the idea you wrote here does not seem very unique. You may have other good ideas but you will need something more to show them up. Even simple graphics might work? Anyway, good luck but do not get stuck to this if the idea does not work out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:08 pm 

Hmm, Hey guys this is my first post so hey :) I have a few thoughts about your 'special idea'. I want to be as constructive as possible so please don't take any of this to hart:
1. Why would new (and old) app developers decide to port the programs they have made to your device? You would have to have something more than a button dedicated to socail features.
2. you would need to make this button easily avalible to the 3rd part programmers by implamenting a special API (which isn't the biggest problem) thus meaning that the developers have to add more code to the program when they could just deploy it to android and IOS with a click of the button with cross-compilers. ;(
3.People seem to like less of buttons. Android has 3 buttons - Iphone has one. if you had 4 where would the 4th button go? 3 buttons at the bottem is perfect - having four would make more issues (Size of device, which order each button gose ect). This dosn't seem like a massive problem, but it is. Acsessability is EVERYTHING when it comes to products, not just OS and mobile devices, so thats one thing to think about.

I have had a little though about this, and here are some little solutions to your idea (Just to get you in the right mood):

1. Use Android OS. You can downlaod it for free, as we all know. It's a little messy to get started with it, but of corse it is possible to make your own Android Device that look compleatly different. All you have to do is strip down the OS to its kernel (Which is linux) and of course the dependecies that will allow for you to run the apk? executables... I think its apk any way (dosn't really matter)
2. You think of a way to get around this. think about it, for 2 secs. You have three buttons and don't want to add another one. You could replace the button sure, but people might get confused... right? Why not add a button to the tool bar??? You prgram the OS to reconise if you are playing a game, waching vids or listening to music. Just bring down the tool bar and you can share the music, game or video by a click of the button. the OS sends a pre-made message to facebook (via API) such as 'Just playing angry-birds' or 'Love 'I got U' listend to it 3 times today ^^' . you catch my drift ;) This little solution also includes solution to three so
3. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

sorry for bad english and hope I helped

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:19 am 

ZinXan: You can try creating operating systems for mobile phones with x86 platforms such as LAVA Xola X900 mobile phone, Lenovo Phone K800, Orange San Diego, Grand X IN, Motorola RAZR. Their CPU is Intel Atom Z2460. But for ethernet you need to implement USB drivers because a GSM modem can be supported with USB-CDC.