OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The LoseThos Operating System
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:06 pm 

I have no idea what VMWARE softwares does and don't care. All I know is it's likely to be slow and you'll struggle with additional constracnts.

The first thing I did was write an assembler and compiler so I could be independent. It may be too much for you guys.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:09 pm 

I have no idea what VMWARE does except add complexity and slow things down. It's just an additional hurdle you're creating fighting with VMWARE.

The first thing I did was write an assembler and compiler so I was independent. It took a year to reach that point. You guys probably work part time?

I've been at mine for 5 years full time.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:44 pm 

LoseThos wrote:
The first thing I did was write an assembler and compiler so I could be independent. It may be too much for you guys.

Modesty is such a good attribute :-) Is the first paragraph of this page on your site serious or a joke?

http://www.losethos.com/history.html

M

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:49 pm 

You don't have the decency to talk to me, so I'll just answer all questions here, rude bastards.

LoseThos gives audio feedback when it accesses the disk, so it beeps. You can turn it off.

LoseThos' bootloader does not use the BIOS -- does ATA or ATAPI commands directly. Will not work from FLASH memory sticks, most likely.

You cannot access memory above 0xFFFFF until you enter pmode and set A20.

You guys probably don't want too much help or you wouldn't be doing your projects. If you get stuck and want to see how things are done, LoseThos is there.

I am not looking for help, just occassional answers to questions, perhaps. So far, this site has given me one thing -- an answer to getting mouse interrupts working -- that was obscure.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:59 pm 

Quote:
You don't have the decency to talk to me, so I'll just answer all questions here, rude bastards.

*cough* hypocrite *cough*

edit: Let me elaborate. You call us rude while you are being rude yourself.

Quote:
I have no idea what VMWARE softwares does and don't care. All I know is it's likely to be slow and you'll struggle with additional constracnts.

Educate yourself if you don't know.
"It may be too much"? Listen, how can you accuse us of being rude when you obviously are to us? You're insulting us there. Don't tell me to "deal with it" because you obviously couldn't by posting that we were being rude.

Quote:

No ****.
You guys probably don't want too much help or you wouldn't be doing your projects. If you get stuck and want to see how things are done, LoseThos is there.[/quote]
No, we are doing our projects because we want to. And if we get stuck we will figure it out, because (and I don't know if they told you this) but figuring stuff out for yourself is sooo much better than copying!

-JL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:10 pm 

LoseThos wrote:

well met. 8)

LoseThos wrote:

And you are telling us this basic information because?

LoseThos wrote:
You guys probably don't want too much help or you wouldn't be doing your projects. If you get stuck and want to see how things are done, LoseThos is there.

you're joking right? I can guarantee that I will not be taking any 'pointers' from this OS, all the reviews are about it failing miserably. Maybe you should cut back on the ego, and invest some more thought/time/code into your OS and make it functional.

LoseThos wrote:
I am not looking for help, just occassional answers to questions, perhaps. So far, this site has given me one thing -- an answer to getting mouse interrupts working -- that was obscure.

I'm not looking for help, I'm just looking for occasional help... right.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:15 pm 

Lemme guess, "People who don't understand Unix are destined to recreate poorly"

planet of the apes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:19 pm 

LoseThos wrote:
Lemme guess, "People who don't understand Unix are destined to recreate poorly"

planet of the apes.

I'm actually a very neutral person when it comes to operating systems. I find Linux to be a bigger pain sometimes than Windows, and vice versa. The fact that you keep trying to play that card leads me to believe that you are either trying to Troll, or just have nothing to say in response to the obvious flaws in your character and OS.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:21 pm 

LoseThos wrote:
I wisely chose 640x480x4 because it's incredibly responsive. If you change the graphics resolution it will be a dog.

I see on your website you state: "4) LoseThos will always have one video mode, 640x480 by 16 colors, unless this mode might become unavailable on computers in the future." Is that a good choice when you're saying it's "Just for games" here: http://vbforums.gametrailers.com/showth ... p?t=314864

Actually, I remember your comically abrasive comments from a story on OSNews -- you're either trolling or have a serious ego problem. Either way I've had enough of this thread. Have fun :-)

M

Last edited by M-Saunders on Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:23 pm 

If you put your OS outthere, the Linux cultists will attack you ruthlessly unless it's unix.

Linux cultists are more ruthless then Microsoft -- huge hypocrits.

Are you going to trust reviews? people want Windows or Linux, a Windows wannabe.

LoseThos is a toy environment for programming, but it's a damn good toy.

Thanks for not stealing my ideas, I suppose. You're welcome to them, but nobody likes the dirty feeling of stealing -- what would be the fun.

Open your mind to new things--we've stagnated in the 1970s. Source code is till just ASCII!! If you don't write your own compiler your chances for anything original go way down. You will reinvent poorly.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:31 pm 

LoseThos wrote:
If you put your OS outthere, the Linux cultists will attack you ruthlessly unless it's unix.

My OS is what traditionally those Linux "cultists" would despise. My OS is closed-source, proprietary, and aimed for marketing. If anyone would be attacked on this forum by Linux "cultists" it would probably be me and my OS. You have an Open Source (and Public Domain, ?ftw) OS so stop whining as you aren't getting attacked for anything but your own flawed OS (which is not a bad thing, all OS's are flawed, its your ability to fix the flaws and acknowledge their existences that makes or breaks an OS/project).

LoseThos wrote:
Linux cultists are more ruthless then Microsoft -- huge hypocrits.

You have obviously never met a Mac-"head".

LoseThos wrote:
Are you going to trust reviews? people want Windows or Linux, a Windows wannabe.

Yes, I trust reviews. I especially trust the reviews of fellow OS developers. And I seriously doubt they are discarding your OS's ability to perform by their preference of desktop OS.

LoseThos wrote:

So good that no one can boot into it.

LoseThos wrote:
Thanks for not stealing my ideas, I suppose. You're welcome to them, but nobody likes the dirty feeling of stealing -- what would be the fun.

I actually agree with you there. I try my best to stay away from source code that isn't mine, and if I do 'peek' I make sure that I only take the ideas from it and keep the implementation independent.

LoseThos wrote:
Open your mind to new things--we've stagnated in the 1970s. Source code is till just ASCII!! If you don't write your own compiler your chances for anything original go way down. You will reinvent poorly.

I don't believe I am reinventing poorly. In fact, I don't believe I am reinventing. "Source code is still just ASCII!!" sounds like a Linux purist rant to me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:39 pm 

I hate the free software notion -- programmers should be paid. I discovered with a shareware project it's pretty hopeless, thus this one is free. If it gets some momentum, I might get a modest job related to it.

Glad to hear you're making a go for money. Good Luck, sincerely.

Go to betanews and read reviews. I have 4.4/5.0 on fifty votes. I guess I snuck past the linux people under their radar.

Frankly, people look at the screen shots and say "yuck" and write a review. Granted, it's crappy and looks are 99% for most people. It will never be very popular. If you can get past that, you might find bunches of treasure in it.

You can't boot it? Is your machine 64-bit and did you burn a CD? Tell me your hardware so I can make a note. My strategy is to support least common hardware. It's the only strategy, or specifying a fixed hardware like Apple. Or you could use that HAL thing whatever that is.

A huge issue we all face is addressing multiple hardware platforms that we don't own and can't test on.

Honestly, I'm not goin to make much effort for any hardware device that's not very universal. Screw AMD if it doesn't work.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:04 pm 

Quote:
Frankly, people look at the screen shots and say "yuck" and write a review. Granted, it's crappy and looks are 99% for most people. It will never be very popular. If you can get past that, you might find bunches of treasure in it.

How else can they review it if its not bootable?

Quote:

If you do say so yourself.

Quote:

I feel that if I can make the program function without writing my own compiler then I've accomplished more than if I write my own custom one. gcc works fine for me.

Quote:
I wisely chose 640x480x4 because it's incredibly responsive. If you change the graphics resolution it will be a dog.

Or you could write th OS so that other video modes are just as fast.

Put your ego away before it eats itself.

Good for you that you've gotten your OS that far, but seriously.

-JL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:06 pm 

Oh well.... you asked for this :P
Quote:

You might have something in there BUT...
Take a look at my OS: http://www.oby.ro/os/index.html

I have written an compiler and an OS and a few other huge things in ASM and I am a professional programmer with experience in multiple areas including embedded devices, reverse, databases, etc.

My OS does have cooperative multitasking but it also has network drivers, and layers and USB stack and HDD drivers, and mouse and keyboard and sound (all with IRQs) and a GUI that also works in 1280x1024x32bits and realtime translucency... and a FPS and watchdog .... and proportional fonts and skins ... and yes it is in kernel mode and gives programmers full access, it does not use BIOS and yes you can go to 64 bits from it if you so like . It can also boot from USB :P

And yes I did all this myself with some little help from 2 friends and with no dependency, writing all from scratch in ASM no C/libs NO GPL NO copy and in my free time after work or in holly days and accumulated time of development (if I could have worked on it 8 hours a day) wold have been approximatively 1 year by now including the ASM high level compiler.

I do not know what you did in 5 years...coffee breaks?

Oh and I have ported another compiler (FASM) on it just for fun. And you can also write application for it in MS Visual Studio if you want to. And it can load, map and run standard PE executables and I have designed my own filesystem also (but not yet released) ;)

And It can boot from floppy, HDD, CD-Rom or USB and it can run on many real PC's AND on Virtual PC, VMWare, Bochs, Qemu, InnotecK, Sun etc and almost all other emulators out there...

Hence it is not too much for some of us here :P

And do not forget to check OctaOS or Menuet or Kolibri OS or... the list is big.

OH... and I forgot to mention that lately I also have a source code IDE with code collapsing, syntax highlighting and intellisense and a web browser (will put screen shots soon) and yes it does boot in under 2 seconds and all fits on a 1/3 of a floppy and it can do warm restart in under 1/100s..

Ouch... I also started to develop my own CPU lately.

And I am one with God and God is one with me always.... from some time now :P

----------------

In case you are not trolling...

The purpose of this enumeration was to make you understand that there are OTHER "humans" on this planet that can do this kind of things just as easy ... and we can also be as rude as you are or even more if we think that this might help you evolve one day....

And if you did all this time instead of finding internal light first ... then my friend it is just wasted time.

Nice little OS you have there but here we all love OUR OWN OS better than anything else .... Welcome to reality.sys :P

Last edited by bontanu on Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:34 pm 

Solaris Looks aweseome. Why'd you name it that, just curious.

Probably should have hung-out at this site earlier, among peers, instead of all the Linux freeloader cultists, like at OSNews or Slashdot.

I don't have the energy to boast of all LoseThos's goodness. Gets tiresome. See the videos on my site if you care. I can understand if you don't have the patience.

I got 50,000 hits on my website a couple days ago after getting a story on Reddit and got 500 downloads. On an average day I get 10 downloads.

Now, kinda asking myself "what now?" I've done what I wanted to do.

I long ago wore-out my welcome at osnews and slashdot, and gamedev, they don't like God. (Get pissed-off and put God on the phone.)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next